Bench Vise

Craig Eick

New User
Craig
Good morning to you all. It is great to have the site back up to see what is going on. May thanks to those who are responsible for keeping the site up and going.

As i have noted in previous posts i am new to the woodworking family and therefore am continuing to add items to my shop. I currently do not have a bench vise. I am looking at the 12" quick release vises from Rockler, Lee Valley and Veritas. Any guidance, other suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Craig

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Good morning to you all. It is great to have the site back up to see what is going on. May thanks to those who are responsible for keeping the site up and going.

As i have noted in previous posts i am new to the woodworking family and therefore am continuing to add items to my shop. I currently do not have a bench vise. I am looking at the 12" quick release vises from Rockler, Lee Valley and Veritas. Any guidance, other suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Craig
I have a couple extras if you are interested. Not sure what brand or function they are. Send me a PM and I'll look for them.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the Patternmakers vise from Highland. It is the best clone of the Emerrett Patternmakers vise available. It is the only one needed in the shop as it rotates 90 degrees above the bench and swivels 360 degrees. It is expensive but worth it.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
The Eclipse Quick-Release bench vises have worked great for me and are much less damaging to the wallet.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Craig, Not sure if you’ve already said, but exactly what type of woodworking are you doing or planning to do? Knowing that could radically change our suggestions.

The advise should vary depending on if it’s primarily hand tools, primarily power tools, just general work use or simply, I don’t know yet.

Also, what are you mounting the vise to? A 500 pound Roubo bench or a 90 pound Craftsman work table.

Craig Eick

New User
Craig
Craig, Not sure if you’ve already said, but exactly what type of woodworking are you doing or planning to do? Knowing that could radically change our suggestions.

The advise should vary depending on if it’s primarily hand tools, primarily power tools, just general work use or simply, I don’t know yet.

Also, what are you mounting the vise to? A 500 pound Roubo bench or a 90 pound Craftsman work table.
Good afternoon. My apologies for the tardy response. I am just seeing this response. Thank you for your questions.

As I am new to woodworking I am not sure where i am going. I suspect it will always lean towards the power tools; however, I do want to learn to work with hand tools. I appreciate the craftsmanship and art in hand tools which is one of the reasons for seeking guidance regarding purchasing the "right" vise.

I built a 4' x 8' work bench. 2 x 6 frames/legs. 2 x 4 joist. Top is made of two layers of 3/4 sub floor topped and a 3/4 Maple plywood. It is full grown.

Thanks again for your question. Look forward to hearing from you.

Craig

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS