Bench Update #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Well, my new woodworking bench is not completely done, but close enough to post another batch of pics.

First some stats-

Design:

• A mix of elements from Lon Schleining's "The Best of Old and New" bench from his book and Fine Woodworking article. Elements include his thumbnail profiles on the feet and jaw faces, etc. and my own designs including the adjustable height trestle base. The adjustable trestle base is a new twist on my assembly table adjustable height legs which will be the subject of a forthcoming article in American Woodworker.
Materials:

• Top, aprons, vise jaws- hard Maple
  • Adjustable trestle base- American Beech.
Construction:

• Trestle base- mortise & tenon and Titebond III
  • A mix of pinned-blind and wedged-through M&T joints
  • Aprons (and sliding tail vise) joined with hand-cut, half-blind dovetails - 6 sets!
  • Long side aprons are attached to the top with glue only (long grain to long grain)
  • End aprons, to allow for seasonal changes in the cross-grain direction, are held in place with threaded rod, nuts, and barrel nuts. No through bolts or plugs are visible on the end vise face or free end aprons of the bench. Nuts are accessible from underneath to allow tightening.
Dimensions:

• Top: (not incl. vises): 33-1/2" wide x 74" long x 2-1/2" thick- Yes, it is BIG!
  • Aprons: 1-3/4" thick x 5" high
  • Height: adjustable: 30-1/2" to 43-1/2"
  • Weight: TBD, but HEAVY!!!
Vises:

• Lee Valley twin screw, full width tail vise (20" between lead screws) (3" thick jaw)
  • Quick release front vise (3" thick jaw)
  • Sliding tail vise (w/o shoulder)
(all vises were free, courtesy of the Woodcraft Top Shop contest gift certificate :eusa_danc )

Still yet to do:

• Drill holes for bench dogs. I will use Lee Valley round bench dogs and pups.
  • Add 2 deg. bevel to the movable jaw faces of the twin screw and front vises.
  • Turn handles for both the sliding tail and face vises
  • Make and install a release pedal for the adjustable leg ratchet mechanism
  • Final sanding
  • Sealing
Front vise, quarter view:

IMG_2867.jpg

End view:

IMG_2872.jpg

Sliding tail vise, quarter view.

IMG_2870.jpg

Lee Valley twin screw, full width, tail vise, quarter view. (Wait, that doesn't look like the Lee Valley vise!?! Yes, it is, stay tuned . . . )

IMG_2873.jpg

Some details:

The adjustable legs and ratchet assembly:

IMG_2878.jpg

Front vise jaw thumbnail profile and apron dovetails: (the balls are for the ends of the vise handles.)

IMG_2868.jpg

End vise thumbnail profile:

IMG_2876.jpg

So tell me about the Lee Valley end vise?

The sprocket and chain cover supplied with the vise looks like the one in this photo:

veritastwinscrewvise.jpg

My vise jaw is already 3" thick, so I would lose some clamping capacity if I mounted the vise per plans. Plus the stock sprocket and chain housing and handles would stick out into valuable shop real estate. So, I routed recesses in the vise jaw for the hardware and made a new low profile cover- it sticks out only 1/8" and is held in place by hidden rare earth magnets. There is still 1-3/4" of maple jaw left. I painted the cover black. [STRIKE]and plan to ask [/STRIKE]Rob Lee of Lee Valley [STRIKE]if he will send[/STRIKE] is sending me a new label for it!! What a great company! Here are a few shots:

Sprocket and chain cover removed:

IMG_28641.jpg

Sprocket and chain in routed recess. I need to buy an additional 7" of chain.

IMG_28652.jpg

Another view of the cover. The back of the cover is rabbeted so it sets into the recess and overhangs the back of the vise jaw for a neat appearance.

IMG_2874.jpg

The cover is only 1/8" proud of the back of the jaw. I left openings below each lead screw so I can lift and remove it easly.

IMG_2875.jpg

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Alan,

That is a great looking bench, as well as being very functional. I love the adjustable legs. Everything is well thought out and executed, great job.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

BTW, your shop is waaaaaay too clean. I think you're spending too much time with Ernie M.:gar-La;

Matt

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
That is a great looking bench, as well as being very functional. I love the adjustable legs. Everything is well thought out and executed, great job.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

BTW, your shop is waaaaaay too clean. I think you're spending too much time with Ernie M.
Drogar-Laugh%28DBG%29.gif

Matt
Fabulous, as usual. The bench looks solid as a rock. If it had a propeller, I bet you could make it fly.
By the way, your shop isn't too clean..... it looks just right to me.:gar-La;
Ernie

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I couldn't work in a shop that clean, I'd be too nervous afraid i might spill something on the floor. :swoon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS