Beginners Scroll Saw Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
I tried scrolling a couple of years ago and discovered that I have neither the eyesight nor the motivation for it. However, I have a youngster :gar-Bi visiting in the spring who would like to explore using one. I'm asking for purchase recommendations for a saw with enough capability to allow her to use her considerable artistic capabilities without having the saw's limitations get in her way, but still be in the price range that will allow me to put it in the classifieds or Craig's List if it does not work out — without having to swallow too hard.

Maybe incompatible requirements, but I figure this is the place to get the best answer. Yes, I know that good and cheap do not work in the same sentence, but I've got to try.:dontknow:

TIA,
Ray

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ray - I highly recommend the 788 DeWalt Series 1 if you can find them - look on CL and ebay - there was one on NCWW for sale but I do not remember who had it for sale - the resale on these are good - If you can't find the Series 1 still the series 2 is a great saw - JMTCW - hope you can find what you need

sawduster

New User
Robert
+1 on the 788 :icon_thum cody was the one who was selling the saw. Not sure if it sold or not but they pop up occasionally on CL
you should be able to resell for what you pay for it . $300 is a good price with stand and light ( used ) $350 seems to be the average and still a good deal as a new saw by itself is $500

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another vote for the Dewalt 788. You are more then welcome to borrow mine if she/you want to try it out for a couple days. Just let me know when and I am sure we can work it out.

RayH

New User
Ray
Another vote for the Dewalt 788. You are more then welcome to borrow mine if she/you want to try it out for a couple days. Just let me know when and I am sure we can work it out.

Scott,

Thanks for your generous (and trusting) offer. If I can't find something by spring I may call on you.

Phillip/Robert/Scott,

You scroller guys sure stick together on DeWalt:gar-La;. That sounds like the ultimate answer if I can work it out.

Thanks for your help,
Ray

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip/Robert/Scott,

You scroller guys sure stick together on DeWalt:gar-La;. That sounds like the ultimate answer if I can work it out.

Thanks for your help,
Ray

It is all Scott's fault - he let me use his at a show a couple years back to do a demo - loved it ever since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS