Beginner Lathe Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I've attempted just about everything with wood except turning. Now it's time. I would love to hear your recommendations for a "beginner's" lathe. I don't want to buy a lathe just because it is cheap, but I don't want to spend a fortune either. As we all know, having the correct tool for the job is essential. I don't anticipate making anything very big (probably nothing over 12"). If you have recommendations for tools, that would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance.:thumbs_up

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Looks about right. I guess you have to create an account to get the 20% off coupon?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mark,

Your first link is to the web store and last one to the walk in. Coupons are not interchangeable between web and walk in. I have a spare 20% coupon for the walk in store and I live near Apex.

I love my little Excelsior VS lathe, but it appears that Rockler doesn't sell it anymore. They still sell the 3 speed, but not the VS (or at least I have not seen it in the catalog in a while).

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
OK folks,PLEASE don't get get mad at me(I got tender feelings)BUT I the Ricon mini about 325.00 right now and it will out turn anything HF makes.I won't even go into the nightmare I had with them.I know some folks like the HF lathes,but they are not well built and to me,nothing but a PITA.you can go with a Jet, Delta or the Ricon mini and I know you will be much happier in the long run.True you can get T HF cheap,but in this case you will get what you pay for.

timf67

New User
Tim
OK folks,PLEASE don't get get mad at me(I got tender feelings)BUT I the Ricon mini about 325.00 right now and it will out turn anything HF makes.I won't even go into the nightmare I had with them.I know some folks like the HF lathes,but they are not well built and to me,nothing but a PITA.you can go with a Jet, Delta or the Ricon mini and I know you will be much happier in the long run.True you can get T HF cheap,but in this case you will get what you pay for.

+1 Though I have never owned an HF lathe, I have heard other folks horror stories. HF is great about replacing things, but who wants to take back a lathe 3 times to get 1 that works?:icon_scra

having started out on a beginner lathe, I can say that it is only worth buying a cheaper lathe if you end up not liking turning. If you like it like I found out I did, you will quickly want something bigger, and you'll want variable speed. I have two Jet lathes, the 1642EVS and the 1224 midi. The midi would be a great starter lathe (though probably more than you want to spend) and you may never need to upgrade.

timf67

New User
Tim
Oh and I almost forgot! If you are willing to wait, put your name in the hat for the NCWW goodwill lathe. It is a midi lathe that is passed around to folks like you who want to try turning without a big up front investment. Do a search in the turning archives for goodwill lathe or GWL. :thumbs_up

CarvedTones

Andy
Just for the record...

I did not recommend the HF lathe as I have no experience with it. I have an Excelsior that it looks like Rockler no longer carries, at least not in VS. I did offer to give the poster a 20% off coupon if he decides to get a lathe from HF. The one mentioned is often on sale for under $200 and coupons are good on sale items, so it's down around half the Rikon. I think the Rikon is a better lathe, but if he needs to economize and goes with the HF, I will be happy to give him the coupon to save a little more.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Wow. Thanks for all the advice. Woodcraft has the Rikon mini for $329 (no stand). I'll have to check with the Raleigh store to see if they have it in stock. It's not that much more than the HF, especially if the quality is that much better. Now, what about tools? Should I invest in the more expensive ones right away or buy some "cheap" ones while I am learning?

Andy, Thanks for the offer of the coupon. If I decide on the HF, I will get in touch.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Well, I too am looking for a beginner lathe. I am also wary of HF, but still considering only because of price. I have been looking at this one:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Lathe-With-Digital-Readout/G0462

I haven't heard a bad thing about it. I know it has alot more motor (2hp vs. 3/4hp) which I've heard that can make huge difference when turning bowls. I would love a VS but the price you pay is beyond my budget. So I will throw this out there and see what the turning wolves think:rolf:.

Zach

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Grizzly looks to be a good buy.:thumbs_up The drive is not an electronic motor but a 2HP TEFC with variable speed pulley based on the parts file on pdf. It should be relatively trouble free, as that's what Shopsmiths have been running for decades. One caveat is that they advertise it as a '10 speed' motor, so you may not be able to tweak the rpms, even though the manual implies it is variable speed. It probably has detents in the speed lever to allow only preset positions of the headstock cones.
I'm certainly gonna put this one on my 'short list' when I upgrade.

HLW

Harold
User
I'm sure the Grizzly is a good lathe, however looking at the specs. the lowest rpm is 600 and that is too fast for turning larger bowls. Initially they should be turned at about 300 rpm's or less (for safety reasons) until the bowl is trued then you can increase the rpm's as you progress. Your goal is to turn the bowl and not wear it. Seriously,starting out at 600 rpm's is too fast for larger bowls(10" to 14"). Perhaps some of the other guys will agree with me on this or maybe not? You might take a look at the new Delta 46-460 it sure looks like a nice one. Good luck!

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Go Big or Go Home! Go for the Gold!

Seriously you'd be much better off with a PM, it will do everything you want it to and more. In the end it will even save you money, just think of how much you will spend on upgrades.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Get started

I inherited a full size HF lathe and started turning with it. I was a whole lot happier when I got a Jet midi lathe and got rid of the HF machine. The quality was not the best on the HF. I have spent 2-3 times the Jet lathe amount on turning tools, chucks, and pen mandrels, etc, and I purchased mine 6 years ago when they were around $200 on sale.

Many of the midi/mini lathes are close to being the same machine. The Rockler Excelsior 5-speed is still available. For $199 it seems a good deal and only 99 cents for the extension bed. See: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19446 The Turncrafter Pro VS for $230 at Penn State also seems like a good deal, especially being variable speed. I don't know much about the Grizzly lathe, although I own many Grizzly tools.

I suggest taking a turning class at a local Woodcraft, or other woodworking store. Experience will provide some insight into the features you might want and the tasks you might like to try. I enjoy turning pens, pepper mills, toys, and small bowls, so a midi lathe suits me just fine and is a great place to start. I like the mobility of a small machine and I can put it where I want it. Bigger tasks will require a bigger machine.

Good luck.

CarvedTones

Andy
Re: Get started

Guy,

The Rockler and the Turncrafter are the same casting; when I got the bed extension for mine, Rockler was asking a whole lot more than a buck, so I got one from PSI and painted it black:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/lathe-drill.JPG

The holes were in the right spot and everything; just bolted it on and it is perfect.

I place some value on having a 1" 8 TPI spindle and a #2 MT because it is really easy to find all sorts of accessories at really good prices, plus you can borrow and loan out some of the less often needed stuff with others. A different size would not necessarily be a deal breaker and nearly all small to middlin' sized lathes have those specs anyway.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Re: Get started

Thanks, Andy. By the way, I thought I was the only one who kept "scrap" wood under my workbench in a cardboard box!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Go Big or Go Home! Go for the Gold!

Seriously you'd be much better off with a PM, it will do everything you want it to and more. In the end it will even save you money, just think of how much you will spend on upgrades.

What's a PM? ProbleMatic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors