Beginner in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
Hi,

I just stumbled across this site last night looking for some workshops or woodworking schools in my area. Within the last year, I've decided I want to try my hand at woodworking. I have a part-time photography business and wanted to start making my own frames - but when I started playing around with those, I found myself wanting to do more. :wsmile:

I've always had an interest in wood craft but have not been in a position to pursue it until now. I hope to go beyond it being just a hobby or making only frames.

Presently, I have a small shop in my garage with the "necessities" and a small CNC. I plan on attending any workshops or classes in the area, but also expect this site will provide a wealth of information.

Thanks in advance to all who help out as I learn!!

Dave

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome Dave glad you found us. You are right about one thing there is a wealth of information here along with some very talented folks that are generous with sharing knowlege and advice.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hi Dave!
And welcome to NCWWer!!!

You should know we really like pictures . . . and since you are a photographer :widea:

Roger

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the group Dave! There's a ton of information and some very helpful folks here, so jump right in! :icon_thum

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Welcome Dave, great to have you! I'm in (north) Durham too, holler if you need anything.

Travis

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Presently, I have a small shop in my garage with the "necessities" and a small CNC. I plan on attending any workshops or classes in the area, but also expect this site will provide a wealth of information.

I like how you snuck that in there :rotflm:
Welcome to the sawdust bin, but be careful around here. There are a bunch of enablers that always pop up :gar-Bi

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Dave, there's always room for another one. I look forward to your input in the forums and seeing some pictures of your work.

Dave:)

Dragon

New User
David
Hummmm:eusa_thin. What could I do with a "small" CNC?

Welcome in. Great bunch of folks here and never any lack of something to talk about or go do.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Dave. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I've always wanted to try picture frames (and need to get around to it). :gar-La; The Woodwright's School in Pittsboro is a great place to learn some techniques. Not sure what their class schedule is, but I'm sure if you google it, you should be able to find out. It is taught by Roy Underhill, the guy from the Woodwright's Shop (show on PBS). There are tons of very nice and talented folks in your area too and they're always willing to help out. Again, welcome and thanks for the introduction. :icon_thum

dave

New User
Dave
Thanks everyone!! Very welcoming and friendly group! :icon_thum

The CNC was actually one of my first purchases. I saw it as way to do some designs without the ability to hand carve. And it really is small - about 12"x24". It's been a great learning tool and I think it will complement the other things I want to do nicely. I hope to eventually get a Shopbot, but that's a ways off.

I'll definitely put some pictures up soon of some of my early attempts. Nothing special, but anything I can make that resembles what it's supposed to be is a succes for me!!

Trent - thanks for mentioning the school in Pittsboro! I'll look into that.

Travis - nice to see someone else in my area! I was hoping I might make some connections on here. You may be hearing from me! :wsmile:

Dave

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Dave!!! :eusa_danc The friendliest woodworking site on the Internet, these days.:wsmile:

I was pretty much in the dark when it comes to woodworking when I retired 5 years ago. This bunch of gals and guys have taught me a tremendous amount not only about woodworking but all of the great too possibilities out there today!

Anything you need to know about methods and technique is only a few keystrokes away!!

Post often, let us see some pictures of your work and take care around those powertools.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors