Begining carving set

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My wife has wanted my to try carving, but I haven't had much of an interest, until today. I was trying my hand at a carved box design, using my Dremel tool to do the carving and realized how long that would take and how much quicker it would be with a few carving chisels. I was looking to see what Woodcraft had to offer and found these sets.
Beginner's Carving Set - Woodcraft.com

and
Beginner's Carving Tools - Woodcraft.comhttp://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3615

any thoughts on either of these. The first looks to me to be better quality, but fewer profiles. I like the price on the second one, as I may not enjoy it and never do it again :icon_scra :icon_scra :icon_scra :dontknow:

Dave:)

Last edited:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Dave
My wife would like me to help her make the regal eagle intarsia from the September 06 Wood magazine. So not knowing how long her interest will last with carving I bought this set from Grizzly for $29.99. They sharpen up very well. I have not used them yet though. I figure if I keep carving I will buy better chisels as money permits

DSC00457.JPG

DSC00458.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like the look of that Griz. set. I went by Woodcraft on Saturday to look at the sets that I listed. I wasn't impressed at all with the cheaper WC set, and was given good advice not to get a set, but to get the chisels I thought that I would most likely use. Of course running in to Steve C. and D L Ames didn't help, as I was persuaded to double what I wanted to spend :oops:
I came away with three Pfeil chisels, 2 gouges and 1 veiner. Wow, they are sharp and cut almost effortlessly.
I buggered up my first carving attempt, not from lack of ability (those sweet chisels make it easy) but from poor design. I tried to carve too much detail in too thick of wood.
I fear that I could be on the crest of another slippery slope, I already see the "need" for several more chisel profiles.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
When you're ready to buy, DL and I will come with to help you spend your money:rolf:
I like the look of that Griz. set. I went by Woodcraft on Saturday to look at the sets that I listed. I wasn't impressed at all with the cheaper WC set, and was given good advice not to get a set, but to get the chisels I thought that I would most likely use. Of course running in to Steve C. and D L Ames didn't help, as I was persuaded to double what I wanted to spend :oops:
I came away with three Pfeil chisels, 2 gouges and 1 veiner. Wow, they are sharp and cut almost effortlessly.
I buggered up my first carving attempt, not from lack of ability (those sweet chisels make it easy) but from poor design. I tried to carve too much detail in too thick of wood.
I fear that I could be on the crest of another slippery slope, I already see the "need" for several more chisel profiles.

cskipper

Cathy
For the little bit of carving I do with my Celtic pieces I have a couple of the palm-handle chisels - not sure the brand. They are from WC and weren't cheap, but are sharp.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh come on Dave, it will be a great inspiration for others who want to start carving but, like you, expect instant gratification. I always tell my kids to keep their first trial to look back and see how much they improved.

In short time you will be a master carver but what will you have to look back on? Post that first trial and give us a starting point to compare how much you improve on the next effort!

Alright you asked for it.

BTW, I didn't expect instant gratification, I expected to suck a little. I think that my design was flawed, and I wasn't going to be able to carve it like I visioned in my minds eye.

Are you sure you want to see it???

OK, here it is:

1st_attempted_carving_003.jpg

BTW, the drawing above it is what I hoped it to turn out to look like :oops:

:bigeyebro

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Not bad for first try Dave. I do know that you will get what you pay for in the chisel world. I personally like Pfeil. I know they are pricey, but if you buy the ones you need (well I don't need that many....just a few) they aren't too bad. You can also find some pretty good deals on them at times as well.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Steve was back at WC on Saturday? I saw him there Friday night as well. Only thing he bought Friday was a t-shirt.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Actually, I think it looks quite good. It is definitely better than I can do.

Are you using a mallet, or is this strictly hand work?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Actually, I think it looks quite good. It is definitely better than I can do.

Are you using a mallet, or is this strictly hand work?

It was all hand work. I think that if I had made the Walnut about half as thick (1/8" vs. 1/4") getting the relief I wanted with the plunge through to the Sasafrass would have turned out better. Lessons learned :icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks great for a first attempt dave but...... where are the band aids? :rolf: . i havent tried carving yet but i can see it happenin in my future...... well maybe!:roll:

fred p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
looks great for a first attempt dave but...... where are the band aids? :rolf: . i havent tried carving yet but i can see it happenin in my future...... well maybe!:roll:

fred p

The key is flesh behind the blade, and force away from flesh, although I did manage a little cut on my finger checking the sharpness of the gouge :eusa_doh: it was :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS