Bees wax

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
First off - I don't know
next - my presumption is that any wax MAY affect a finish, depending on a lot of factors.
I'd like to hear the answer from others as well, as I have some beeswax and want to prevent rust on the few planes I have.

sssfox

New User
Steve
I use beeswax on the soles of my planes while using them. I have had no problems with it affecting the finish. I suspect it is all gone by the time I cut the last shavings.
I don't try to apply a uniform coating, I just squiggle it on before and during use.
I don't see how it could possibly prevent rust. I use Canola oil for that.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I use gulf wax/paraffin on the sole... Johnson's paste wax everywhere else. Never had an issue related to finishing that I'm aware of.

I don't get into a twist about a little rust on my planes... But Johnson's does a good job, is cheap and easy to wipe on.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I've been using paste wax on machines and planes for 20+ years. I lightly (and quickly) buff the surface with a bench rag and go to work. never had an issue

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I haven't ever had a problem. However, I usually damp wipe the surface with a suitable solvent before coating (normally MS, alcohol, or lacquer thinner, depending on the coating).

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I use parafin wax and squiggle it on too but I'm also not Garret Hack, good enough to have the hand plane be the last step before finishing, lol.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
As you know I always follow up with a card scraper, that absolutely removes any residual wax.

Which I don't believe would be a problem if a small amount was left on the wood.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I would rather use natural bee's wax on wood, but it doesn't hold up as well as the synthetic petroleum based products like Johnson's Wax. I have a woodworker friend who keeps me in bee's wax, but for tools it's back to Johnson's. Have never encountered a problem with finishing.

Pop

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Beeswax without other oils will scrape off I use it all the time.. If you mix with other stuff (mineral oil, etc) it strengthens the finish. But alone is stay on the surface

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If you use bees wax on a plane will it affect finishes
As long as you don't glob it onto the tool, and dry/ buff the wax before use, you should not have any issues. I've used beeswax, paste wax, and paraffin, with both oil and water-based finishes, and never had a problem. But, I will typically sand/ scrape/ clean the surface after planing, which would remove any residual wax. That's good practice anyway, there are lots of other possible sources of contamination, including fingers!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I prefer paraffin over bees wax and keep an old candle around just for lubricating plane soles. Never had a problem with staining. You don't need much. Just rub the sole a few times then plane a few passes on a scrape piece. Waxing makes a big difference in how easy the plane works.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Not to derail the thread, but creasman mentioned using an old candle, and that reminded me. I keep old candles bandsawed to 1 or 2 in. long peaces for lubing screws Just stuck this info in for what it's worth.

Pop

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS