Bedside table project - completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Re: Bedside table project - first drawer!

what's even cooler Is seeing the artist's personality come through in each piece they make.

Uh Oh, the artists personality comes through in each piece we make? I gotta work on being a nicer guy!:lol:

Monty

New User
Monty

Thanks.... I've been distracted by the Klingspor show, but I'm going to get back to work on these and finish them hopefully this weekend.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

It all looks good. Appears to be expansion relief out of the back of your drawer. Are you holding the bottom with a slotted screw hole?

Monty

New User
Monty

Yep, gonna slide a panel in there and hold it with a single slotted screw in the back.

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Bedside table project - construction finished

Well, I've finally finished all the construction for this project. I made the drawer for the second table today, and also made the drawer bottom panels. Again, the panels for the drawer bottoms are hand-planed. The panels are secured with a slotted screw in the middle of the bottom which allows for wood movement.

The drawer fronts look a little lighter because I just sanded them today. I don't really know what kind of wood I used on the bottom panel -- it was a board included in a stack of maple I got a couple of years ago... :eusa_thin Oh yea - I still need to make the keys to hold down the top, but that's no big deal.

So, I'm now to the point of final sanding and finish... As usual I haven't really decided how I want to proceed. Any suggestions?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Really looking nice. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Ya shoulda rotated the left drawer before you took the middle pic- your goof #2 is showing again :-D:-D:-D

woodguy1975

New User
John

Looking Good Monty. ON thing on your drawer fit to remember. It is now getting to be winter. Very low humidity right now. Your drawers will tighten up when summer comes so make sure your drawer fit top and bottom has allowances for the humidity to affect the wood. Take them inside for a day or two and then final fit the drawer before you finish. It only takes a little while inside to see if your drawer fit will be too tight.

Nice job dude.

John

NZAPP1

New User
Nick

Those are looking Awesome:icon_thum Nice work Monty:eusa_clap

mac martin

New User
mac

I have been using "hand-shetching-on-a-old-yellow-pad" "handware" and AutoCAD for a while now.
More information on your saftware package ?"sketchup"? , please.

You might want to check out the end table I have in my gallery. Very similar to the one you are making. The Coffee table is the same design, just different lengths and heights. They were pine and ash. Now that I have some cherry, might just do another set. Was a fun project.:lol:

mac martin

New User
mac
Re: Bedside table project - first GOOF!

OOPS- now you let everyone know why we keep scraps. Wife thinks I never make mistakes and they are only for the fireplace.

mac martin

New User
mac
Re: Bedside table project - more progress

Taper depend - knocking it down a little more would give it that "dainty" slimmer look, if that is what you want , otherwise I think the tables are going great just as they arew.

M

McRabbet

More information on your software package ?"sketchup"? , please.
Mac,

Sketchup is available for free download here. You can also find tutorials here or here. It is a neat program and several members of the website are pretty good with it.

I use TurboCAD, which -- like AutoCAD -- has a steep learning curve.

Rob

Monty

New User
Monty

Thanks for the feedback, Mac. Your tables are a similar design. I like the relative simplicity of this style. The CAD I'm using is Autodesk Inventor, but based on the experience of several of our members I think Sketchup is also very good. The price sure is right!

I have finished sanding, and I've let the drawers sit a while upstairs and they're still running smooth. Today I've been experimenting with dyes to even out the tones of the wood. I played around with scraps enough to feel like I can get a good result. I'll probably spray the pieces tonight or tomorrow, then start on the finish.

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Bedside table project - starting the finish!

OK, I've started on the finish now. As I mentioned previously, I have some color matching problems to deal with. The wood I had to work with was not the best color to begin with... of course I couldn't really tell that in the lumber yard. I just tried to match the color as well as I could, and counted on having to dye it later. Well, this shows my results so far. The fist picture shows one of my top panels. You can see that the bottom board is darker than the rest. The second picture shows how it looks after an inital application of dye - better, but the bottom board still stands out. So I masked off that board and sprayed the rest of the panel one more time, and the result was a much better color match... not perfect, but better.

Sorry about the pics... it's really hard to capture the real color accurately in my shop. Honest, it looks much better in person! :oops: I had the same problem to deal with on the other panel... except this time the darker board was in the middle.

I also had to touch up a small strip of sapwood in both panels, using an artist's brush to apply the dye to these areas. The end result is pretty good I think.

IMG_5610.jpg

I realize that the color will darken and even up more with time, so I was VERY sparing with the dye. I'll spray the tables the same way, then I think I'll use a wiping varnish for the finish. Or maybe a sprayed finish... I haven't really decided yet.

woodguy1975

New User
John

Dude, the dye did the trick for sure!!! That is 100% improvement. Did you pick up a detail gun from Northern for spraying the dye or did you use your Fuji?

Gotta love the dye trick on cherry. Really evens out the tone and gives the peice aging without obscuring the grain.

Good Job,

John

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

It looks extremely good to me. What color and type of dye did you use? You use water or alocohol? What ratio? Being I am doing some cherry myself at the moment, I am quite interested.

Monty

New User
Monty

Thanks. C'mon John, you KNOW I wouldn't pass up an opportunity (excuse) to pick up another tool! :lol: I got the detail HVLP conversion gun from Northern to do this, and it worked great.

Travis, I used alcohol base (DNA), with TransTint dye (medium brown and honey amber) in a 2:1 ratio, added by drops and tested to get the right darkness.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick

Looking good Monty. Thanks for shareing the dye trick. How do you like the HVLP conversinn gun? I am looking to get one at a reasinable price.

Monty

New User
Monty

That little gun works OK, but it has such a small cup that I don't think it would be ideal for larger projects. It was about $35 at Northern Tool.

BTW - I credit Woodguy's finishing class for giving me the practical info and tips I needed to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS