Bedrock #606 refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Here is a recent project. I started with a rusty Bedrock #606 fore plane.

IMAG0048-1.jpg

First step was to take it apart. It was in pretty good shape. Just a little rust and a broken tote.

IMAG0049-1.jpg

After a trip to the kittie bucket full of citric acid, the plane looked much better. I found a donor tote in the boneyard.

IMAG0050-1.jpg

Now he is sitting on my user shelf, ready for action.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
How cool! One more bedrock back from the brink of oblivion!

How do you like using it?

Jim

JimReed2160

New User
jim
I have several #6s that I use. What sets this plane apart is the lack of backlash in the adjuster. Most Bedrocks are made with close tolerances and the adjuster seems to work better than on normal Bailey planes. This size plane is good for following a scrub plane. Just put a camber on the blade. First use the scrub to get the raw wood flat. Then use the #6 (or #7) to remove the scrub marks, and finish off with a #4 1/2 smoother. I can use handplanes to dress a short walnut board in less than ten minutes. More fun and less mess than a powered planer.

As for japaning--this plane had about 75% of its original finish. The citric acid treatment is kind to japan finish. If there is rust under it, then it is toast. But if it in in good condition the citric acid cleans it well. Citric acid leaves a dark grey finish where the rust was and I finish my planes with 3 in 1 oil after the treatment. The oiled surface patina blends in well with existing japan finish. I think the planes look pretty good as they are. If the japan finish is gone, then they need a coat of Rustoleum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS