bedpost spring pole lathe update photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Not perfect but starting to look like a bedpost!
Im being paid by the year.
Decided to remove the long tool rest. Too much movement.
Wouldn't hurt any if I actually knew how to turn...Arg! :eusa_doh:

DSC_0014.JPG

View image in gallery

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:icon_thum Looks nice.

Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost spring pole lathe overnight?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks great! I am curious as to why you are wrapped around the square instead of a round section.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Ed,

I am not John, but I have watched enough of St. Roy to answer that question. You have to move the line around to get it out of your way so you don't cut it. If you put it n a part that doesn't get cut, then it's never in the way. With a couple of wraps, it holds fine on square stock.

02blues

New User
john
Looks great! I am curious as to why you are wrapped around the square instead of a round section.

Although you do need to keep the rope away from the blade it always ends up near my work area.
This depends on where the foot pedal and overhead attachment are. You can angle it away from your work but you are also trying to find a comfortable position to work in. Holding the base with one foot and pumping with the other while directing the rope away from the blade skateboard style. My other lathe has a long bar that is hinged to the lathe which is less of a hassle. "Seems" like my "cutting speed" is greater when wrapped around the larger circumference of the post too. Its late and I don't know much about it but I think RPM = Cutting speed/ circumference and therefore RPM x circumference = cutting speed....so by wrapping around the larger part of the post the cutting speed is faster?? :icon_scra:eusa_thin:BangHead::dontknow: And now you know why I don't have power tools. I would probably hurt myself trying to estimate the proper cutting speed!

CarvedTones

Andy
Actually your math is right but logic is off. The larger circumference lowers the RPM in your first equation. A simple way to think of it is pulling 6" on a 2" or 3" circumference, the 2" would spin 3 times, while the 3" would only spin 2 times.

Why don't you angle the pedal off to the side to keep the cord away? I have had thoughts of making a small one to take to Ren Faires one of these days to sell turnings and bows, A bow bench would be easier, but the man powered lathes bring more people in.

EDIT - I think cutting speed is overrated sometimes. I rounded up a split blank the other day that was too out of balance for my light lathe and stand (powered midi) by rocking it back and forth by hand and using a big carving gouge. It cut very clean.

02blues

New User
john
Actually your math is right but logic is off. The larger circumference lowers the RPM in your first equation. A simple way to think of it is pulling 6" on a 2" or 3" circumference, the 2" would spin 3 times, while the 3" would only spin 2 times.

Why don't you angle the pedal off to the side to keep the cord away? I have had thoughts of making a small one to take to Ren Faires one of these days to sell turnings and bows, A bow bench would be easier, but the man powered lathes bring more people in.

EDIT - I think cutting speed is overrated sometimes. I rounded up a split blank the other day that was too out of balance for my light lathe and stand (powered midi) by rocking it back and forth by hand and using a big carving gouge. It cut very clean.

Thanks for the info Andy. I am a complete newbie when it comes to turning. So far I have been empirical: trial and error. Mostly error. I keep adjusting the lathe until it works. Cutting speed is a bit of a laugh for me too because I often turn the work very slowly. This big 7ft lathe is more difficult to work that the spring pole I made from Roy's book. That would be a good one for you if you want to take it on the road. Small and can be made to break down. Here is my version of it.
This big lathe was made just for these long bedposts. I think I need to complete the treadle component of this project. You may not be able

to see it but I have most of the components made but gave up on the live drive shaft for the sake of the "main" project ie the bed.​
Thanks again for the help. John
Can see part of the treadle here and the first tool rest attempt.
Second pic is the other lathe: Have a fixed foot pedal now which is much better.

CarvedTones

Andy
Oh, I see plenty of success in your pictures! :icon_thum

BTW, on my comment about speed, it is my thinking that there really is no such thing as "too slow" if you are cutting cleanly. We favor the use of high speed steel on power lathes only because it handles the heat better; if it was a better material for edge tools in general you would see a lot of carving tools made with it. There definitely is such a thing as too fast though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS