Beautiful Walnut I Just Had Milled

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOL Woodworks

New User
David
Hello everyone, i just wanted to share with yall some photos of these beautiful walnut logs that i had milled this week. It was a big tree (3' in diameter) that was growing in a park in my town and had to be removed. I've just posted a few pictures here, but you can go to my website to see all of them:
http://www.tolwoodworks.com/currentevents.html
Thanks and i hope everyone is having a good week,

David Nestler
Tree of Life Woodworks, LLC

LOG_1_on_the_mill.jpg

View image in gallery

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've had some pretty bad reactions to BW but I milled up a bunch of walnut over Christmas anyways, I developed a bad sinus infection, which I'm still paying for :(

JonT

New User
Jon
Is it just my monitor, or a trick of the light but it looks like there is a streak of salmon color in there. Can't say that I've seen that before. Very pretty and especially nice contrast with the creamy sapwood.

Making those cuts has got to be like unwrapping Christmas presents... You might have a hint of what's inside, but never know for sure until it's opened up.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I looked at all the pics on your site, David. There are some beautiful, beautiful boards in there. Even if you choose to cut away the sap wood on some of them, you'll still have some incredible grain to show. Can't wait to see what you make from them.

Bill

richlife

New User
Rich
Congrats on that log, Bill. I'm still waiting for the tree that I've been promised (no hurry). Would love to see some figure like that. Rich

Dragon

New User
David
Isn't walnut dust extremely toxic? Or can I skip the respirator (in addition to DC)?

Yeah, Walnut dust is toxic and in some folks, HIGHLY allergenic. Use a respirator for sure. Also, Walnut dust/shavings, etc. are toxic to pets and other animals too. Be careful with disposal. I usually burn all my waste products from Walnut though I do have a little sanding dust saved for filling cracks and voids. Very nice looking wood you got there. I'm searching now but I think there's a law somewhere that you have share the bounty here............:rotflm:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Isn't walnut dust extremely toxic? Or can I skip the respirator (in addition to DC)?

Extremely toxic? No, not in general. It is extremely toxic to horses. Some humans have allergic reactions. I have not found any data on how common this is. Walnut eating utensils and dishes were commonly used. Doesn't bother me at all, a nd I love the smell.

The wood also contains a natural herbicide that is effective on many plants. I dispose of my walnut sawdust in places I don't want anything to grow.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You probably know this but you don't want the wood steamed if you have it kiln dried. It makes the sap wood a little darker but it makes the heartwood grey and lifeless. Much better to let the sapwood be light and retain all the color of the heartwood.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS