Bearings for my Old 'Arn

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
One of the arbor bearings in my 1950's vintage Delta TS ceased up :BangHead:. I have it torn down and it takes two New Departure 88503. I tracked that number down to an outfit called Consolidated Bearings who has four distributors in the Asheville are:

BEARINGS & DRIVES, INC.
606 RIVERSIDE DRIVE
ASHEVILLE, NC 28801

HAGEMEYER NORTH AMERICA INC
75 FAIRVIEW ROAD
ASHEVILLE, NC 28803

MOTION INDUSTRIES #NC59
3865 SWEETEN CREEK RD RM K
P.O. BOX 1076
ARDEN, NC 28704

APPLIED IND. TECH #AS278
21 BRIAN BLVD
ARDEN, NC 28704

Anyone have any experiences with any of these?
Or, can you recommend an alternate source?
Any guesses how much this is going to cost me, so I don't die of sticker shock?

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I have used Motion Industries with good experiences but not that store. I think they are a national franchise. Good luck on your mission:icon_thum

cpw

New User
Charles
How does the drive shaft look? Be sure it is perfectly smooth and round or you may have a little trouble getting the new bearings back on.

It looks pretty good. I made the mistake of whacking the end of the spindle with a hammer to get it started instead of taking the time to get the punch out, so I had a bit of mushroom to file off. Fortunately, that end protrudes far past the end of the pulley so it won't make any difference when things are reassembled.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You will find that your bearings are most likely 6203's. In lots of 10, you can get them for less than $3.00 each, delivered, from thebigbearingstore. Their warehouse is in Memphis TN. If you order on Monday, you should get them on Wed, or Thur. I was very pleased with the ones I received two weeks ago. Be sure and get the sealed ones.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Instead of whacking the arbor to remove it, turn saw upside down. Tilt arbor to 45 degrees, then use gear/bearing puller to press arbor out. When reinstalling arbor, I add bearing next to flange to arbor, and use gear puller to press the arbor assembly into housing and other bearing. Question- Does your saw have a one piece cast iron trunion/ trunion rod assembly? Or the more common steel rods/ CI trunion?

cpw

New User
Charles
You will find that your bearings are most likely 6203's.

Actually, I had already found that there were New Departure 88503's just as I described. But thanks for the info on thebigbearingstore.

88503.jpg

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
You will find that your bearings are most likely 6203's. In lots of 10, you can get them for less than $3.00 each, delivered, from thebigbearingstore. Their warehouse is in Memphis TN. If you order on Monday, you should get them on Wed, or Thur. I was very pleased with the ones I received two weeks ago. Be sure and get the sealed ones.

I used this source thanks to your previous post and was pleased with the prompt service and the price. I was not surprised to find they were Chinese, now time will tell on the quality. But heck, even if they don't quite measure up to snuff, I can replace them 3X for the price of one elsewhere. Luckily for me these are on my BS and very easy to access. Would not be too happy if they were less so and I have to replace them often. Let's see how they turn out ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors