BeadLock

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
I hope this is the right forum for this question...

I have been looking at the BeadLock jig sold by Rockler to form loose tenons in some large frame and panel pieces I'll be making. I look at the BeadLock as a poor-man's Domino. Although the "pro" jig and accessories for 1/2" tenons as well as tenon making router bits will cost about $200 - still better than thr $750 - $1000 for the Domino.

Does anyone have any experience with the Beadlock? For example how finicky is it to get pieces to line using the jig?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch Trager

Nativespec

New User
David
I used it and it worked ok but the bead stock would fit too tight and I would have to sand it down. I have the Domino and would highly recommend it. It saves quite a bit of time and that time can be used for finishing.

I would also look at some of the other dowel jigs as well.

David

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Can't you just make a jig and route mortises and use shop made loose tenons. I would think that anywhere the Beadlock could be used, you could do it another way.
There's always the Multi-Router :lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

Bryan S

Bryan
Mitch I considered the beadlock system but after reading a few reviews that were that were not the best compared to other systems. I talked to a couple of guys at Woodcraft who were not very encouraging just simply said that they didn't sell very well and I decided against it.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the BeadLock and echo the comment that the tenons are too tight and have to be worked with to get the correct fit. It is pretty simple system but I don't think it is worth the money.

I also feel that making loose tenon joints is a better choice than the BeadLock.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
There's always the Multi-Router :lol::lol::lol:

That's what I'm talking about ....:-D

As for the beadlock, I too purchased the standard one for about $30 on Amazon a while back. Used it a couple of times with some success, though the loose tenons ALWAYS fit SUPER tight. Some of that could be avoided with a VERY GOOD QUALITY drill bit and good drill (I always used cheap bits).

What I really liked was the ease of use and no requirement for anything fancy. Now that I have the new toy, I decided to donate my Beadlock to my buddy in Florida as he'll get more use out of it than I. :icon_thum

Overall ... maybe a 7 of 10 on my scale.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Thank you all for the information you provided and your opinions. Based on what I've read here, the beadlock is out.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS