Battery Powered Chain Saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I'm thinking of getting a new chain saw. Battery powered appeals to me as I don't use one enough to keep a 2-cycle engine in top shape. Seems i spend a day getting her running good and an hour running the thing.

I'm leaning towards the Stihl ones, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has one and could provide some feedback.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I haven't purchased one, I have an old one that has always started so until it doesn't I won't replace it. I watched a bunch of you tube videos on a Ryobi. I already have a bunch of their 18V batteries. But the 40V is supposed to work significantly better. The Ryobi gets good marks for the way you adjust the blade tension, no tools required.

I've seen nothing on the Stihl but I haven't looked. I would assume it would be good.

Mathias Wandel doesn't have good things to say about the DeWalt on his website. This points seem valid. That is enough to make me cautious.

All the reviews I've seen say they cut fine and if you want a saw with a 14 in bar or less, they work fine. Batteries last long enough to do some work. They use a narrower chain and bar, presumably because the motor is weaker. For the work I do cleaning up things around the house, I think it is a good option for the reasons you cite.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I first moved out to the farm I cut a large hedge apple (osage orange) tree with a wen electric chainsaw. 12 inch bar, extension cord, lots of little wedges cut out, took a couple hours. Looking at that huge trunk laying on the ground I went right out and bought a Stihl 260 Pro. It got the job done and I never looked back.

Now I don't need to cut firewood as much and most of my bowl blanks fit in the bandsaw.

But for light trimming and occasional small tree removal I would probably go with the battery powered saw.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Wirecutter's top picks for the "best" chainsaw for most homeowners (as of 2 years ago) are battery powered. The results might be different now, but it may give you a starting point. Search for "chainsaw"

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I have an Ego chainsaw with 14” bar that I’ve had for about a year. I already had the batteries for the Ego ecosystem, so that made the Ego vs other selection easy. The saw is surprisingly powerful and light. Chainsaw use varies so much in scope and scale, I’ll give some ideas on how I use the Ego. For any tree or branch less than about 20”, the Ego tends to be my first choice. It seems as fast as gas and is so quick to pick up and use. I swap batteries about every 30 minutes. I had to order a chain file on line as the chain teeth have a less common diameter. The Ego seems to use a lot of bar oil.
To fell and cut up a tree, I will fell with a gas saw. Limb with Ego. Buck main log with gas.

stevenross

steven
User
I use a Lowes brand - Greenworks electric chain saw - also their hedge trimmer, weedwacker, blower and pole chain saw. All are brushless with battery life 30+ minutes - with swapping batteries I wear out before the set of batteries do. Would buy again.

gritz

New User
Robert
I have a Stihl MSA-160C. This model number has changed, but I do not know the differences.

I purchased the bare saw without a bar or chain, (but including a charger,) on e-Bay for $125.
It was represented as a new saw, and it was. I also bought a used AP-300 battery separately on E-Bay for $70. It charged up in about 15 minutes, showing a full charge. After paying about $30 for a 12" bar and chain, plus a missing adapter, I assembled it, popped in the battery and tried it out by cutting up a 4" standing dead dogwood that was like iron. Then it zipped through several cuts on a horizontal 14" oak log. WOW!!! I will never go back to gas! I even used it to rough cut some dovetails in a 3" live-edge maple plant bench I am finally making my bride for last Christmas. I will dispose of my other two dead, gas saws pretty soon.

I also have a 14" Stihl 140 electric saw with a 3/8" chain. I love that little workhorse, but it was loaned out when I needed a saw, so I bought an electric Harbor Freight saw for $39.00. That saw has good power, but the bar is a little thin and tends to wobble. Once in the cut, it works well. It has no kick-back protection and will leak oil unless unpressurized after using. I did some heavy, large-log and lathe-blank cutting with it before getting a recall notice about a bad switch. I swapped it for a new saw and sold that one in the box for $40. Consider an electric saw if you don't mind the cord. They are quite a bit cheaper. Also the Harbor Freight Lynx line of battery tools looks interesting. Do your own due diligence.

The ONLY reservations I have with my battery powered Stihl chainsaw model is that the 1/4" blade is thinner that I am accustomed to, and the battery is hard to remove. (I plan to glue a spring in the bottom of the battery chamber.) Otherwise, my little saw runs true and cuts like a demon. It is as heavy as a gas saw. They do pop up on E-Bay, but you need to know what you would have to pay for a new one on sale to avoid overpaying.

I also bought a new-in-box AP-300 battery on E-Bay for $100, plus a new Stihl weed eater from a dealer, so now I have two batteries to swap out on both tools. I'm ready for a break when the battery dies. I'm also patiently looking for a used bare Stihl leaf blower that uses the same batteries. At 73, I'm pretty sure these tools will be my last set.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Greenworks 80v saw, 18" bar, cuts anything and everything I throw at it, including trees thicker than the bar is long. My use is so occasional that a battery saw made far more sense than getting another gas saw.

Pluses:
Quiet. When felling, I can hear the first crack of the trunk. I also need no ear protection, so I can hear others nearby just fine.
Zero vibration. There is no gas saw that does not vibrate, due to the reciprocation of the piston. I can run my saw for hours with no numbness or tingling in my hands.
Starts first time every time. No comment needed.

Minuses:
Cost. To get into the system the way I wanted, I bought the saw, four batteries, and two chargers, an investment a little north of a grand. Most of the time I don't need more time to cut than one battery covers, but for the occasions where I do need to go beyond, my setup allows me to cut non-stop. I also have their trimmer powerhead that uses the same batteries.
Run time. If you have just one battery, the max I can get with regular cutting is 35-45 minutes. Constant cutting gets about 16-18 minutes. Rarely a problem for me as I usually cut, move logs, cut, move limbs.
Power cutoff. I actually have two saws, and use both. The first one I got has a limit on the time the saw stays on without using it, about 15 seconds. This is not dangerous, just annoying. The second saw stays on much longer.

I looked at Greenworks, Ego, Echo, and Stihl when I was considering this. Overall, the Greenworks came out on top.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same without hesitation.

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have a gasoline and a corded chainsaw. I don't really remember the last time I cranked up the gasoline saw. Now that my 1/2 acre is pretty much cleared I rarely need either one. For that reason I'll stick to corded over a battery saw. It's not good for batteries to not get used and once enough time has passed it can be problematic to even find a replacement battery. With a 12 ga. 100 ft extension cord and a couple of strategically placed outlets there's nowhere on my property I cannot reach.

There certainly are some attractions to battery equipment, but for me it comes down to no longer using that type of equipment often enough.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have an Older 18V Ryobi that came with a kit over a decade ago with nickel cadmium batteries. It was fine for cutting small limbs but not for real work. A manual cutter was faster and did not need a charge every 20 minutes.

I more ore recently purchased the 60v Echo blower and hedge trimmer. I am disappointed in the power of the blower. The hedge trimmer works on small stuff but as the battery weakens, t tends to get small pieces trapped in the blades. If you cut more robust shrubs like holly, it is fine on new growth but terrible for the thicker limbs.

It was a nice idea but $400 later, I plan to purchase gas powered Stihl replacements next spring. In addition, I have already killed one battery in two seasons (right after the warranty expired of course).

I hate yard work and want something that I can do the job as fast as possible. The batteries are a nice idea but the technology is still not there to make something as powerful as a gasoline engine that is light.

Gas as is a pain but if you purchase ethanol free, mix it properly, use fuel stabilizer and run it empty for the off season, they work fine for several years.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I used an electric chain saw on 100 foot cord to take down 3 very very large Bradford pears (they were taller than the peak on my 1 story house) Took all day, but that was also because had to take them down very carefully so they didn't hit house, either of my 2 sheds, or the privacy fence, all in a narrow back yard. Would have been faster with the gas saw, but it wouldn't crank, and after an hour the day before twiddling with it I gave up and moved to the corded saw, which fired right up when plugged in :p

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I've had two gas saws sitting on a shelf since I bought a WORX corded saw, and couldn't be happier. If a tree is bigger than I can handle with the WORX, I probably shouldn't be messing with it. Anyone want to buy a Husky?

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Much appreciated this will definitely help me make my decision.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Based on feedback Santa has ordered me a 18” corded greenworks.

If cord length becomes a problem that will be a good excuse to get a generator

awldune

Sam
User
I have read that chainsaw chaps do not work with electric saws (battery or corded) due to the high torque of electric motors. Any thoughts on this?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have read that chainsaw chaps do not work with electric saws (battery or corded) due to the high torque of electric motors. Any thoughts on this?

You are correct that they are not designed to protect against electric saws. The fibers from the chaps are supposed to jam up the chain as it goes into/around the sprocket, slowing the gas motor or slipping the clutch, thus reducing the torque and stopping the chain. With electric saws, when the chain gets resistance, the amps increase, increasing the torque, possibly enough to pull through and cut the fibers.

I have not seen any actual tests showing if the chaps are of any protection or not, but also have not seen chaps rated for electric saws.

Not sure of the effect of jamming the chain on a Lithium Ion battery powered saw, whether for safety or not. Also don't know if newer electric saws have clutches or over-current protection.

Go

Last edited:

awldune

Sam
User
You are correct that they are not designed to protect against electric saws. The fibers from the chaps are supposed to jam up the chain as it goes into/around the sprocket, slowing the gas motor or slipping the clutch, thus reducing the torque and stopping the chain. With electric saws, when the chain gets resistance, the amps increase, increasing the torque, possibly enough to pull through and cut the fibers.

I have not seen any actual tests showing if the chaps are of any protection or not, but also have not seen chaps rated for electric saws.

Not sure of the effect of jamming the chain on a Lithium Ion battery powered saw, whether for safety or not. Also don't know if newer electric saws have clutches or over-current protection.

Go

I was more worried about what the saw would do to you than what the chaps would do to the saw ;)

I have a corded electric but I have only used it to prep bowl blanks in the shop. Are electrics less prone to kickback than gas saws? The chain moves much slower on my electric.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Are electrics less prone to kickback than gas saws? The chain moves much slower on my electric.

Less prone? No, as the danger zone is still the danger zone. Less severe? Likely, as most electric saws turn slower.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I was more worried about what the saw would do to you than what the chaps would do to the saw ;)

LOL. I understand. My answer is "I don't know". Haven't found anything on it. I would posit that having chaps would protect your legs, lower torso better than no chaps, but probably wouldn't eliminate injury. Have not heard of anyone getting seriously hurt with electrics, but that could be for a variety of reasons: Lower numbers of electrics; Electrics mainly used in more controlled settings; Electric users maybe being more prone to be cautious; etc.

With the advent of battery power making electric saws more mobile, I think we will be hearing of more injuries as people start using them in more hazardous environments.

I have never used an electric chainsaw, so some of your questions might be better answered by those that have used both.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors