Bathroom Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Unfortunately, when rehanging my daughter's bathroom mirror, it bumped the faucet and chipped. It's a cheap, frameless mirror 23-1/8 x 41-7/8. It doesn't appear to be a standard size. The 23-1/8 dimension is not critical, but the 41-7/8 dimension is. If it's longer, it won't fit. If it's shorter, I have to start patching drywall and painting.

Can the existing mirror be cut? If 1/4" inch were cut from the side with the chip and the edge polished, the problem would be solved. The edge is not beveled. Therefore, should I look for someone to cut it, should I go for a custom size from a glass company, or is that size somewhat standard?

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
A commercial glass place might be able to cut that small amount off, but I've never had any luck scoring and cutting glass with less than an inch in width; the glass needs to break away in a solid piece, and narrow pieces don't do that. Don't try to cut it yourself Mike.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
A commercial glass place might be able to cut that small amount off, but I've never had any luck scoring and cutting glass with less than an inch in width; the glass needs to break away in a solid piece, and narrow pieces don't do that. Don't try to cut it yourself Mike.
No way am I going to cut it. Hopefully I can find a glass company neary by that can cut it and polish the edge. It certainly does not appear to be a standard size.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any glass company could cut that --- but it might be the same price or less to cut a new piece

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
A new one would be nice. No one is open on Saturday, so I'll get the sticker shock on Monday.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
In most cases the company will not promise that they can make the cut, so if it fails and or breaks they are not responsible for the piece. That said they will make the cut and polish the edge usually with success. Just trying to be informative. I hope this helps.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Benswanger is not too far from you. I've used them before to make a custom piece of glass with good success. They made a triangular piece of glass for the flag case I made my mother to hold my father's flag. I took the case to them and they cut it while I waited.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The 23-1/8 dimension is not critical, but the 41-7/8 dimension is. If it's longer, it won't fit. If it's shorter, I have to start patching drywall and painting.

If 1/4" inch were cut from the side with the chip and the edge polished, the problem would be solved.

So the new dimension will be 41 5/8" after the successful cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS