Bathroom Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
My wife and I are considering a bathroom addition that would be about 10'x10'. It would be right next to the master bedroom and would also butt up against a porch. The mast bedroom is on a traditional foundation and the porch is on cinder block pilings. In the interest of saving money I am going to do the electrical, and most of the interior work. I am also going to be GC. My question is about the foundation. I know that the way I do it depends on local codes etc. however, is there a reason that I need to have a cinder block foundation going all the way around the addition perimeter? I already have the traditional cinder block foundation on one side and perpendicular to that I have the cinder block pilings. I'm thinking that I just need 1 more foundation wall parallel to the porch wall and perpendicular to the existing house wall.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Its hard to visualize exactly what you mean by "I just need one more foundation wall parallel to the porch wall..." - can you share a sketch ?

But if you are asking do you need a continuous cinderblock foundation, I think the answer is no unless you have a very unusual building code in your area. The existing cinderblock pilings are *probably* strong enough for a 1-story addition, but this would need to be verified/inspected.

From high cost to low cost, I think your foundation-wall options are:

a continuous foundation with poured concrete stem walls
a continuous foundation with cinderblock stem walls
a continuous foundation with wood (stud) stem walls
a pier foundation

A couple comments: I would take resale value into consideration when deciding which way to go here. A pier foundation will look cheap if the rest of the house is say parged cinderblock. As mentioned, the existing cinderblock piers may be considered structurally inadequate to support a living space above. And with the 'crawlspace' exposed on one side, the plumbing is more susceptible to freezing and the HVAC to energy loss.

FWIW, I am considering something very similar by expanding my house's living room footprint (continuous brick and cinderblock foundation) to consume some space currently occupied by a deck (on brick pilings). I would like to dig out the space to a livable basement height and use the resulting small basement as a combination of hurricane/tornado shelter and storage.

-Mark

Skymaster

New User
Jack
IMHO for efficiency sake, enclosed is waaaaay better, also keeps critters out of your wiring,plumbing,insulation. closed space is more even temperatures. easier on heat and a/c bills, plus if it is high enuf, a nice dry enclosed storage place

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Addition Lay out.jpg
Above you will find a drawing of my house and the issues I am considering. I'd like the have to build only 1 solid foundation wall as shown as I am concerned that I have to do two walls (I am assuming I won't need a foundation for the porch as it already has one and I just tie into it) one of which would run near the in ground gas tank I might have to remove the tank and re burry it. I am looking to do this as cost effective as possible and I even have a hot tub that I'm willing to trade for some help, materials, labor etc.

Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS