Bass Build Trussrod Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

Jeff
Senior User
I think it looks great and fits the lines of the instrument perfectly. Well done!
Only thing I could think of that might work was a claw shape. I initially had it come to a point, but it didn't look right, so I rounded over the end and it seemed to look a little better.

Thanks
 

CrealBilly

Jeff
Senior User
Looks great. Did you make the instrument also?
Yeah it's in progress - I'm working on it a little at a time when I have time.

here's a couple more threads --->
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41819

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41647

Although I since scraped the finish off on the neck and am redoing it with dupli-color acrylic lacquer from the auto parts store instead of the lacquer I picked up from the BORG which was way to soft for my liking.
 

CrealBilly

Jeff
Senior User
Lookin good bro :icon_thum :icon_cheers
Thanks bro - there's lots of saving on that neck. Shave it down a little, string it up, play it and decide it's a little to fat, take it back apart, shave a little, do it over again.... I'm finally pleased with the neck profile, it fits my hand about as good as it's going to get.

I also went with a shorter scale length, 33 3/8 instead of normal 34". Playing 1st to 5th frets on a thin neck store bought 34", I would have to jump my hand, which always bugged me. Now I can play a F to A without having to move my hand. The neck is a little fatter than those thin store bought ones to, since I always found myself wrapping my thumb around the neck which is not good either. Some of those little quirky little things that have always bugged me are now fixed.

Can't wait for my pickups to come in, then I can finish the wood working on the body, run the electronics and finish it.
 

CrealBilly

Jeff
Senior User
Well just like a newbie - I made a mistake... and I first couldn't figure out what caused it... Both of the 2-way truss rods locked up on me. Both were working fine before finishing. While finishing I got lacquer on the heal end of the threads and it acted like glue seizing up the entire rod:(

So I placed the neck fret board side down on the belt sander and sanded it off, then dug out both rods from the neck. That wasn't to bad but what hurt was watching all the plastic binding melt away that I did such a nice job on. I then cleaned up the channel side of the neck with a hand plane and gave it a slight (.050") back bow staring at about the middle of the neck. It took almost a week for my new (replacement) truss rods to come in. They got lost in the mail - seriously the tracking number showed delivered to wrong address :( In the meantime I made up a new finger board.

Before I installed the rods this time I put antiseize on the treads and since there was a slight rod rattle with the original ones instead of a wood filler strip I packed them in silicon now there is no rattle at all and they turn supper easy. I just got the finger board glued back on Wednesday evening and the fingerboard top radiused and the sides angled Friday night. This mistake is going to set me back atleast 3 weeks, since the finish was cured for 2 weeks and was 100% completely done.

Ok so I learned a lesson THE HARD WAY, experience is a weird thing - it seems you always gain experience after you really need it. One thing I can say truss rod problems are big problems... These new fangled 2way rods are nice and all but are a lot more difficult to work with than old school single action compression rods.

Cheers
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS

Top