Basket, trivet and pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I have been working on a basket for months - a little at a time. I got tired of having parts of it scattered everywhere so I glued it up. Wish I had taken more time and done a better job with the glue-up. It has no finish on it yet. It is made from curly maple, red oak, poplar, oak and cherry.
Basket-mapleredoakoakpoplarcherry.jpg

This is a trivet I cut today.
Trivet-poplar.jpg

Finally I am posting three new pens. One is from curly maple, one from birds eye maple with a walnut band and the other is from Tulipwood (Clay - notice the lines).
Tulipcurlymapleb.e.maplewithwalnutband.jpg

Thanks for looking.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow Cathy, you do really beautiful work.:icon_thum All of those items look really great. How many hours did you put into the basket? That pen made with BEM with the walnut band looks sharp. Both you and Clay are giving me inspiration with the designs you are coming up with.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow. That basket is pretty cool. I think I'd go mad with that many parts... how many parts are there (did you count?). I can't tell from the pic exactly how the pieces were made and fit together - can you explain? Also, your scroll work and pens excellent as always.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, yea that basket is hurting my head. How many pieces are there? All your pens are beautiful but the Tulipwood on in the middle has awesome color. What exactly is Tulipwood? Lirodendron tulipifera (Yellow Tulip Poplar) or Magnolia stellata (Saucer Magnolia)...???:eusa_thin
Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
There are 17 rings in the basket. There were only 15 in the pattern but I wasn't paying attention when I was assembling it and had to make two more. The rings looked kind of scalloped - and then you offset each so it kind of looks woven. By the end I was getting rings done in about an hour each (includes sanding time).

I have no idea what Tulipwood is - but this had the prettiest figuring of any I have purchased.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Nice work Cathy! Those are some very impressive pieces and obviously took a bunch of time and skill. Re: tulipwood, there is a wood called "tulipwood" that is a member of the rosewood family.
My Best
Randy O.

Monty

New User
Monty
Oh, now I get it! Thanks for the explanation -- makes perfect sense! I still don't have enough patience to sit down and do stuff like that on my scroll saw... maybe one day.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
I still don't have enough patience to sit down and do stuff like that on my scroll saw... maybe one day.

Heck Insom, you're as bad as me except you don't even have the patience to set up your scroll saw.:lol:

IMG_5407.sized.jpg

D L

JRD

New User
Jim
Cathy,

Where do you get the patterns for your trivets? Drawn yourself, or from some other source?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cathy, your workmanship (uh, workpersonship, aw heck--stuff) is great and you're patience is indeed inspiring.

Keep it up :mrgreen:
Sapwood

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks all. I get my trivet patterns from a microsoft group -Free Scrollsaw Patterns. They mostly have things I wouldn't want to do - but these trivets have been cool.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Nice work Cathy, I'm anxious to see that basket with finish on it. I really like the varieties of wood in all of your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS