Basic Woodworking Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I started my Basic Woodworking Class at Klingspor's last night. We didn't actually do anything the first day, so no pics... sorry y'all. I'm sure with 3 weeks left, I'll get some. Over the course of 3 weeks we'll build a shaker table with a drawer and subsequently learn about most of the shop power tools and some joining techniques. I hope to document my progress here. It is a really exciting time for me cause I am starting to see all the future honeydo projects that this one is leading to. We learned about wood (behavior and defects) and a little about the table saw last night. I'm sure when we are done, I'll be asking lots of questions about finishing since that isn't covered in the class, but I'll be sure to start a new thread in the proper forum when that time comes.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Will,

I think everyone in the area is looking forward to your reports. Loads of us have thought about taking a class in one topic or another and would like to get a critique of the class you're taking.

Ray

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Well so far I can say it is excellent. The class is limited to 4 people which is perfect for small group instruction. Everyone gets hands on experience and we get to ask questions as we go. With the class being limited to 4, I think that gives the perfect amount of attention to anyone needing help...but that is conjecture at this point. I'll let you know more later.

We had a detailed discussion about saw blades which was very informative. We talked about the different types (cross vs. rip and combination), grades of carbide, widths of kerf and blade design (effecting wobble, heat and resonating frequencies).

Also talked a bit about fence alignment/adjustment, use and type of push sticks and featherboards, and zero clearance inserts.

Homework: Make a cut list from the plans handouts.

Last edited:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Will,

I think everyone in the area is looking forward to your reports. Loads of us have thought about taking a class in one topic or another and would like to get a critique of the class you're taking.

Ray

People keep telling me I need to take "Wallet opening 101" but I thought the fee was too durn high so I am not sure what that means... :wconfused: :dontknow: :icon_scra

:gar-Bi

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Will and any other NCWW member, I would be happy to teach anyone that wants the basics of scrollsawing. Just enough to be dangerous :wsmile:. Of course you would have to drive to Cary.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
I teach too.

Just to warn you though, my technique is like the Karate Kid. I make you sit there and sand hundreds of puzzle pieces while I read newspapers and play with my new laser cutter. Three days later, just as you're about to get mad and throw a tantrum, I grab you in a headlock and judo flip you across the shop.

As you struggle to regain your breath, your eyes fall on a hand saw, pencil, chisle and 2 boards. You pick them up and immediately create a perfect hand cut dovetail joint. After that I send you my bill.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Please, Please teach me to cut dovetails!

wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off... :eusa_danc

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Will,

Good for you! :icon_thum I wish they had something like that where I'm from, but all we have are bars. :roll: :eek:ccasion1 Please keep us posted with your progress!!!! ;-)

Trent :icon_bigg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Heh, I was just foolin'. Heck I don't even know how to do that myself. I guess if it was important to me I could learn, but hey that's what routers are for right?

I was foolin' too, I cut a pretty fair dovetail. :rotflm: I would like to learn more about puzzles though.

R

rickc

My woodworking education (probably like others) was pretty much like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool! I have picked up bits and pieces along the way, but I think it would have been less frustrating had I taken a course such as that being offered by Klingspor. I believe I would have save the cost of the class by reduction of waste alone!

Good luck, and like others I will be interested to read about your experiences.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The only thing I really think a class might help me with is working faster, and I already know the answer to that question.

:widea: :tool: :nah: :no: :swoon: :wsad:

CarvedTones

Andy
My woodworking education (probably like others) was pretty much like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool! I have picked up bits and pieces along the way, but I think it would have been less frustrating had I taken a course such as that being offered by Klingspor. I believe I would have save the cost of the class by reduction of waste alone!

Good luck, and like others I will be interested to read about your experiences.

Frustration is a minor concern compared to that other one... :saw::eek:

Last night a guy bought my old router from me and I talked to him a bit about what he was planning to do. The first thing he had in mind was slotting for shelves, but he had never used a router or had any instruction before. He was going to get some construction lumber along with his real wood and "practice a little to figure it out". I gave him a short lesson and decided to go ahead and give him my copy of The Router Handbook, even though I didn't really want to part with it, because I didn't feel comfortable with sending him on his way without a resource for finding out the right way to do things. It got me thinking about the home improvement stores; I would wager that about half the people who buy the cheapest circular saw, router or bench top table saw on the shelf have little or no experience. Scary stuff.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Frustration is a minor concern compared to that other one... :saw::eek:

Last night a guy bought my old router from me and I talked to him a bit about what he was planning to do. The first thing he had in mind was slotting for shelves, but he had never used a router or had any instruction before. He was going to get some construction lumber along with his real wood and "practice a little to figure it out". I gave him a short lesson and decided to go ahead and give him my copy of The Router Handbook, even though I didn't really want to part with it, because I didn't feel comfortable with sending him on his way without a resource for finding out the right way to do things. It got me thinking about the home improvement stores; I would wager that about half the people who buy the cheapest circular saw, router or bench top table saw on the shelf have little or no experience. Scary stuff.

Andy,

It's funny that you mention this. I worked with a guy, a few years ago, that got a router for a Christmas present from his kids. Once he read the instructions and warnings that came with it, he decided that something that moved at 20,000rpm was too dangerous for him. He was too ashamed of his fear to ask his kids to return it, so it sat on a shelf in his basement, I'm sure it's still there. Guys used to cut out craftsman ads and tape them to his locker at work to bust his chops.

In the end he was better off walking away rather than playing with something he didn't know about. When I first heard about it, I asked him if he was interested in selling it. He said that he couldn't because his kids would wonder what happened to it. :dontknow:

Jimmy:)

CarvedTones

Andy
Jimmy,

Here's some irony for you - one of the reasons I got rid of my first lathe is that I wasn't afraid of it and found out the hard way that it wasn't afraid of me either. I was fortunate not to be injured when the too-large-for-my-cheap-lathe blank broke a 3/4" gouge and exploded. Perhaps I was being a little too aggressive. :dontknow: :embaresse I am going to get another, but this time I think I will have a bit more respect, and my primary motivation is specific purpose spindle turning.

DavidF

New User
David
Jimmy,

Here's some irony for you - one of the reasons I got rid of my first lathe is that I wasn't afraid of it and found out the hard way that it wasn't afraid of me either. I was fortunate not to be injured when the too-large-for-my-cheap-lathe blank broke a 3/4" gouge and exploded. Perhaps I was being a little too aggressive. :dontknow: :embaresse I am going to get another, but this time I think I will have a bit more respect, and my primary motivation is specific purpose spindle turning.

I had a similar experience about 12 years ago. I was given a spindle lathe, only 2 speeds, about 1500 rpm and 2500rpm, I mounted a bowl blank on it about 8" dia and went at it with a gouge. The next thing I knew I was holding a bent gouge and a piece of the bowl was driven right through the 1/2 cedar cladding of the shop wall about 6' up and right across the other side about 12 feet away:tinysmile_cry_t:I left it there as a reminder........ I know better now:confused_

CarvedTones

Andy
I had a similar experience about 12 years ago. I was given a spindle lathe, only 2 speeds, about 1500 rpm and 2500rpm, I mounted a bowl blank on it about 8" dia and went at it with a gouge. The next thing I knew I was holding a bent gouge and a piece of the bowl was driven right through the 1/2 cedar cladding of the shop wall about 6' up and right across the other side about 12 feet away:tinysmile_cry_t:I left it there as a reminder........ I know better now:confused_

I had bought a few nuts and made some wooden face plates. The blank I glued to one was too far out of balance. It was a bench top lathe and I had it clamped to the bench with 2 small C clamps. It was like a badly loaded washer, but I figured if I could just hog off some waste quickly it would come into balance, but the clamp at the business end came loose and the whole thing took a hop toward me right as I was really starting to lean on the gouge. It snapped the blade in two and yanked the stub out of my hands. Then the blank came loose and hit the bed and just exploded. Most of the pieces were long and thin as if I had split it for kindling and I was finding them for years.:swoon:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
All of those stories are very interesting. I had never used or had any instruction on: the circular saw, jig saw, table saw and a few others when I first bought them and started using them. When I started using the table saw, I would put the cut I wanted on the far side of the blade from the fence and the waste up against the fence. After taking kickback to the abdomen a few times, I just stood on the other side and let the wood fly across the shop. STUPID. It wasn't until I was over at my friend's place helping him with a project that I saw it done the right way. I can't believe I was that dumb. Now, when I buy a new tool, I make sure that I have someone there to show me what I'm doing, or I make sure I read the directions and watch a few video tutorials about it before cutting it on.

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors