Basic Sharpening Set Up For Turning Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I need to start somewhere but I cant get everything thing at once I know.... I will need to sharpen some gouges and skews I know. I do have some EWT to use as I learn to sharpen some regular or maybe they are called more traditional turning tools so what do you guys suggest?

I would like a good set up but dont have to have the best.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Slow speed 8" grinder and wolverine jig. Woodcraft has their 8" on sale I have one and think it is fine.

Or just stick with carbide tools and don't worry about thumbnail grinds, balancing wheels, the best grit for grinding, if you should quench tools (you shouldn't!!) etc etc :).

Salem

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I just used what I had - a 9" disc sander. I do the scrapers, roughing gouge and skews free hand. but made a jig to do the fingernail grind on my bowl gouge (my only non-HF tool). That one is by far the most consistent sharpening. The bowl gouge jig I made is based on the jig geometry I found in a diagram in David Ellsworth's book.

Working alright for me - I bought some 150 grit discs at Klingspor.

Henry W

jtdums

New User
Jim
I agree with both the above.

That slow speed grinder from woodcraft is a good deal and should work well. Upgrading the wheels down the road would be to your advantage.

The wolverine system from oneway is a great way to ensure repeatable, consistent grinds. The jig to hold the gouges is great, but I have found that once you have it setup, it doesn't need to be changed. Consequently, the homemade plans available online would work fine if you can determine ahead of time the correct tool angle that you like.

The other half of the wolverine system is a well constructed, but very basic adjustable flat grinding surface for sharpening roughing gouges, scrapers, etc. It too is nice, but can be easily fabricated.
Finally, on friable wheels, I prefer the wolverine I jig for gouges over the wolverine II. The II locks the gouge in the middle of the wheel and seems to excessively wear only the center of the wheel forcing you to dress the wheel far more frequently. The wolverine I is easy to master and provides a great surface.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Slow speed 8" grinder and wolverine jig. Woodcraft has their 8" on sale I have one and think it is fine.

Or just stick with carbide tools and don't worry about thumbnail grinds, balancing wheels, the best grit for grinding, if you should quench tools (you shouldn't!!) etc etc :).

Salem

Just got the Woodcraft sale flyer. It's on sale $89.99 - $30 off.

C.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
For initial profiling I use a normal bench grinder, with standard tool rest, free hand.

For touch-up after each couple of turnings I use an el-cheapo Grizzly wet grinder as shown.

Lathe.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought the slow speed grinder from Woodcraft last time it was on sale and am very happy with it. A few reviews of it said they had one that vibrated badly out of the box so I asked the friendly folk at Woodcraft to plug mine in and start it up before I bought it. No vibration and it has worked fine ever since.

Don't know if the vibration thing is still a problem on some units, but that's one good reason to buy locally so you can try before buy.

I also got the Wolverine jig setup for it. Works great.

- Ken.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
I use the slow speed grinder with the wolverine jig. I replaced the coarse wheel with a cotton buffing wheel which I impregnate with coarse buffing compound. You have to take the guards off that wheel as you buff with the tool pointed down (wheel turning away from the edge).

eyekode

New User
Salem
Roy, I only hone skews. But I admit I get some tear out issues at times. I am not experienced enough to be sure if it is the wood, the turner or the tool. I have been assuming it is the turner :).

It would be nice to hear from others.
Salem

Jim Wallace

Jim
Corporate Member
In my setup that's what the buffing wheel is for. I use it mainly on chisels and when I'm doing finishing cuts on difficult woods.

waynejnc

New User
Waynej
I just bought the el cheapo from Woodcraft and had to return it. There was even a leaflet in the box basically telling you that you might have to "adjust" the washers that sit on each side of the grinding wheels. I adjusted for one hour and never could get it balanced. It would literally vibrate off the table. The simple fact that they would have to add the leaflet to the box only tells me that this grinder is hit and miss at best........

WJ

Jim Wallace

Jim
Corporate Member
I don't think the problem is with the grinder in this case. The wheels are out of balance. Just ask for a different grinder (different wheels) and try it out before you leave the store.

Oneway makes a grinding wheel balancing kit, but if you have to buy it then your grinder wasn't such a bargain.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just bought the el cheapo from Woodcraft and had to return it. There was even a leaflet in the box basically telling you that you might have to "adjust" the washers that sit on each side of the grinding wheels. I adjusted for one hour and never could get it balanced. It would literally vibrate off the table. The simple fact that they would have to add the leaflet to the box only tells me that this grinder is hit and miss at best........

WJ

This is why I had them plug in and turn on the one that I bought in the store before purchase. It spun up fine and I made the purchase. I had read reviews stating that some units had the vibration problem so decided to avoid it from the get-go.

Salem,

For gouges I don't hone, just use them straight from the fine stone wheel. Seem to work fine this way. Which is somewhat counter-intuitive to how I treat plane-blades, chisels and carving tools. I spend most of the sharpening time honing these tools. I took a turning class at Woodcraft and grinding was all they did for the majority of turning tools, so I follow suit.

- Ken.

jtdums

New User
Jim
I only hone skews (diamond card) and the rest come straight off the wheel. (180grit) Skews just seem to like the extra attention, but I'm no skew expert. I do like to have it in my bag of tricks thought and it is worth playing with and learning to sharpen.

I have recently invested ($200) in a cbn wheel that is a steel pre-balanced wheel that runs extremely true. It is producing the cleanest, sharpest edge that I have ever been able to attain right off the grinder. It does not need to be dressed and apparently will last. (Lets hope for that price.)

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Originally Posted by waynejnc

WJ

Wayne,
Was the el cheapo one the same one that is on sale? I stay 100 miles at least from the nearest Woodcraft so I would have to mail order. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS