Basic scroll projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I would like to start a discussion concerning what we want to accomplish with the scrolling phase of our program. Some good questions were asked in the general project suggestion thread but I would like input as to our goal(s) and process for scrolling. There are tons of basic projects out there to teach various skill sets but most of us are so far removed from the basics that I , for one, do not even know where to start :eek:
A little solidarity amongst the scrollers might be just the ticket to insure our success. :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For basic I am thinking on the lines of a Christmas ornament or a simple trivet or simple puzzle.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
As a suggestion for some of the younger of the students maybe something like a key holder in the shape of a key, or maybe something like a desk sign. but I like the other ideals.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great thread Robert. Hopefully at the session this Saturday we can spend some time on this very subject.

As you pointed out, most of the scrollers (as well as turners and carvers) are well beyond the basic stage. So everyone is going to have to revert to their earliest days and think about the things you had to learn before you ever completed a project. Think of it like the high school football coach who, on the first day of practice, holds up a football and says, "THIS . . IS . . A . . FOOTBALL! Am I going too fast for anyone?"

I'm not a scroller, so I don't know even the basics, but I would imagine things like how to install the blade, how to hold the work piece so it doesn't bounce all over the place, how to turn it without breaking the blade, how hard to push it into the blade, etc. Hey, I just had an idea (maybe a brain f***): this Saturday y'all can try to teach me how to scroll. Talk about a basic beginner. :gar-La;

See y'all Saturday.

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great thread Robert. Hopefully at the session this Saturday we can spend some time on this very subject.

As you pointed out, most of the scrollers (as well as turners and carvers) are well beyond the basic stage. So everyone is going to have to revert to their earliest days and think about the things you had to learn before you ever completed a project. Think of it like the high school football coach who, on the first day of practice, holds up a football and says, "THIS . . IS . . A . . FOOTBALL! Am I going too fast for anyone?"

I'm not a scroller, so I don't know even the basics, but I would imagine things like how to install the blade, how to hold the work piece so it doesn't bounce all over the place, how to turn it without breaking the blade, how hard to push it into the blade, etc. Hey, I just had an idea (maybe a brain f***): this Saturday y'all can try to teach me how to scroll. Talk about a basic beginner. :gar-La;

See y'all Saturday.

Bill

Bill we only have one day. :rotflm:

sawduster

New User
Robert

See y'all Saturday.

Bill

I was kind've under the impression that I needed to have some basic ideas and materials with me on Sat . I will just bring some flat stock and we can chew on the ideas for awhile. I do like the Christmas ornament idea though. i've had good input from other sources as well that will help to form a plan.

can you send me the addy I will be looking for when I come Sat ? I will need to google map it. Fred will be with me but will be no help as he will be in the trunk :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors