Basic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
I turned some green spalted maple and left it a little oversized and put anchorseal on it everywhere except the tenon on the bottom so I wouldn't interfer with putting it back on the lathe in 6 mts. Should I go back and put it on the bottom too? If so, how can I get it off when the time comes to put it back on the lathe? The chuck is a 3 jaw type with straight edges and it's difficult to tighten too much because the wood is weak.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
In 6 months it will still be too green to finish. I would not cover it in Anchorseal after rough turning.

Have you read about the alcohol treatment?

Can somebody please post a link, I can't find it at the moment.

William Roscoe

New User
William
That was interesting. Do you need to put something in the bowl to make it stay completely submerged in the alcohol? Also where the best place to buy 5 gallons.

DavidF

New User
David
Just for the record; that AM bowl I just posted about was turned green to fairly close shape but with a 3/4" rim. I paper bagged it for 6 weeks in our loft and then I finish turned it with the 1/4" thick sides. Over the last week it does not appear to have done anything untoward.....

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
That was interesting. Do you need to put something in the bowl to make it stay completely submerged in the alcohol? Also where the best place to buy 5 gallons.

I have a couple of pieces Corian that I use to help hold it down. I have not needed 5 gal the most I used was 2 on this
DSC00602.JPG

and here it is wraped up

DSC00610.JPG

I use a lidded bucket when soaking and pour it back in to the can when done

Last edited:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Just for the record; that AM bowl I just posted about was turned green to fairly close shape but with a 3/4" rim. I paper bagged it for 6 weeks in our loft and then I finish turned it with the 1/4" thick sides. Over the last week it does not appear to have done anything untoward.....
I do about the same thing as Dave: from green, I turn to rough shape with about a 3/4" uniform wall thickness. Then I put it in a paper bag along with its own wet shavings and leave it alone for a couple months to dry.

Works great, but slow.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS