Basic Carving Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just starting a thread along the lines of the Basic Scrollsaw Projects thread to discuss some ideas for basic carving projects. Of course there are always spoons. These can be completed or at least gotten to a point where the work can be continued at home in a short period of time. I'm thinking maybe Stave's carve a single Oak Leaf relief carving might be a good start.

Let's get some other ideas. One need though is to sharpen the existing carving tools in the trailer. I also agree with Andy (who mentioned elsewhere) that we need to buy several (maybe 3) sets of a 3 tool basic set of carving tools. We also need some knives for the chip carvers or whittlers or just those that prefer that tool over the gouges.

- Ken.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Ken,

I have been doing some research and I have come up with the following for now

2" Owl
Cowboy Boot
Wooden Chain

I need to prototype these to ensure that I can complete them in 2 hours or less. I can carve the chain with each link taking between 1-2 hours. I also have several blanks for chains cut. I hope to have the time to prototype the other two projects in the next few weeks. I prefer carvings in the round, but I have completed a few relief carvings. I also prefer carving knives rather than chisels. I figure that we need 5-6 valid carving projects to choose from. Just my thoughts.

Steve H.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
And good thoughts. I'm more into releif carving but I think a mixture is best. I don't quite feel qualified to teach relief carving, but think I would make a good assistant for someone who can teach it.

- Ken.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Steve, Ken, and others: as you think about carving projects, keep in mind what we talked about last Saturday. We want to demonstrate for no more than 10 minutes at a time, then let the participants do something. Since I'm not a carver, I don't know if this works or not. I have visions of the old man sitting by a pot-bellied stove w/ a pocket knife, turning a baseball bat into a toothpick. :confused_

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would send PM's to richlife, stave, and petem. They are fairly active members who are good carvers. I would also think a call or visit to Paul Rolfe at Klingspor Raleigh could get some simple designs.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I really liked the chain blanks Steve brought to the session. The more I have thought about them, the more I like them. They would be an ongoing project for a beginning carver, only require one tool and it is a project that consists of doing the same "mini project" (a link) over and over, giving you the opportunity to improve as well as get a sense of accomplishment along the way.

I will repeat my other earlier suggestion that we consider getting some detail blades (I think Klingspor's has Denny blades at a reasonable price) and making handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors