Basic Bowl Turning with Bill Wallace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Today, I took the Basic Bowl Turning class taught by Bill Wallace at the Raleigh Woodcraft . Excellent class for starting out. Bill is an outstanding instructor who speaks clearly and concisely and makes the whole experience fun. He covered wood structure, cutting basics, chisel selection, sharpening, demonstrated the cuts and then helped us through the process and he's just a great guy to be around. We also had some wonderful people in the class which made the day totally worthwhile.

I didn't get to finish my project. I got a little fancy with the design, seeing as I had an expert looking over my shoulder, and it took a little longer to rough out and sand, so brought it home and will finish it out.

I want to publicly thank Bill for a great class and day.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Nate.
I too plan to take that class sometime.
Do you have any sort of schedule that shows when his next basic bowl class will be?

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I took the class through Woodcraft and he happened to be the teacher. I would call them and see if they can get you the info.

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
have heard that was a good class went to one there on bansaw boxes once. i am just down the road a little ways. do you know of any other turners in this area? i travel to leland near wilmington to attend meeting at the closeest turning club i know of.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
There are 3 others that I know of only because I work with them. I know Rob, on this site, posted about getting a small club together, don't know what came of it.

Rob

New User
Rob
I took his class at Klingspor, a few years ago, great guy.

We couldn't get enough interest up to start a turning club in the area, another co-worker at work was interested in starting one.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
A couple pics of the bowl I made in the class. The wood is Claro Walnut sanded to 600 grit. I put 3 coats of a food safe oil on it, but guess I need to learn finishing next. I turned a very small pedestal on the base so the bowl looks like it is floating above the table. Next time I want to try and make the wings thinner, the bowl not so large and not knock the corners off.

Up until now all my turning has been done with a Skewchigouge or the new Ci tools. This is the first time I have used a bowl gouge. I think there is room for all in a good tool selection. Thanks for looking. Comments and criticism welcomed.
Claro_Walnut_01.JPG

Claro_Walnut_03.JPG

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
rob, i would be interested in participating in somwthing aroud the fayettville area if there cold be enough interest found and a suitable meeting place found, or maybe just meet some time and see what happens at least share ideas and what we have done.

cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS