Baseline Skills Workshop signup - Raleigh - July 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
For those of us on the Standby List for July 28th - will we automatically be added to the August 25th date?

Has anyone dropped from the July28th camp by chance?

The second workshop was cancelled but no worries. I have made room for everybody in the first class on July 28. Hopefully the July 28 date is still good for you.

Actually the august 25 class changed into a marking/cutting gauge class that will be put on by Dan at my shop. Please also come to that you if you can

I will resend the private message that I tried to send to everyone about this change - not sure what happened to it

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Donation made!

Phil, is there anything we need to plan to bring with us? other than an apron, eye protection, hearing protection, and an appetite?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Donation made!

Phil, is there anything we need to plan to bring with us? other than an apron, eye protection, hearing protection, and an appetite?

Possibly a dust mask if eastern red cedar bothers you - right now my shop smells like a hamster cage.

And yes Michael, I will have strawberries and chocolate sauce in the morning

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks to Phil for hosting this class and teaching! It was a great day and I think we all learned a thing or two. While Phil was busy teaching I was taking the photos. I will post them shortly.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
It was one of the best classes I've attended...maybe the best. Every new woodworker should attend this class. Phil is a master, and the assistance that Michael provided was invaluable. Good job, Phil and Michael.

JGregJ

New User
Greg
Was a great class, big thanks to Phil for making it happen and Michael for helping out. I got some great hand's on practice with tools I don't own and coaching on some challenging ones like the planes and scraper. There's reading up and watching videos, then there is the doing -- the doing, especially with someone who can provide immediate feedback is the way to learn.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
20180728_091246.jpg

We learned about wood

20180728_091517.jpg

...And everyone paid close attention!

20180728_092332.jpg

and Phil taught us the importance of a dial or digital caliper

20180728_092829.jpg

and we learned that checking for 90 deg. on your Jointer fence is important

20180728_094506.jpg

and we learned a few things about Table Saw

20180728_094628.jpg

and Phil told us if we think twice about running a twisted piece of wood through the Table Saw, then maybe it's not wise to do that!

20180728_094903.jpg

We learned that there are some nice features that come with a sliding table

20180728_094907.jpg

and we talked about it

20180728_095736.jpg

then we got to try our hand at the Jointer

20180728_095800.jpg

and we learned how important it is to orient the grain to avoid Tear Out

20180728_100748.jpg

and we Jointed

20180728_101412.jpg

and more of us Jointed

20180728_102106.jpg

and another...

20180728_102114.jpg

then we jumped to the Bandsaw and learned about Resawing...

20180728_103802.jpg

and we tried it (sorry about the rotated pics)

20180728_104947.jpg

then we talked about the design of the Tool Tote that this Cedar was for

20180728_111744.jpg

and now that we have some boards, we can run them through the Planer

20180728_115157_001.jpg

and....(sorry about the blurry pic) we're cutting the angles on the side and end pieces at the Miter Saw

20180728_122720.jpg

and....phew....it's time to take a break and eat some lunch...

20180728_130722.jpg

after lunch Phil took us through some sharpening techniques with diamond stones and honing with polishing compound rubbed on MDF

20180728_131359.jpg

polishsing

20180728_131732.jpg

...and although this says Pigment, Phil assures us it can also be used as a 0.5micron polishing compound! That about sums up the day. Sorry but I was quite busy myself with Scraper sharpening, burnishing, and demonstrating. It was a great day! Thank you Phil for your time, hospitality, and sharing the knowledge!

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We should get a group picture at these workshops and ask everyone to identify themselves in that picture.

1. left to right, Phil Soper, Patlaw, son of Patlaw, others, etc.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
We should get a group picture at these workshops and ask everyone to identify themselves in that picture.

1. left to right, Phil Soper, Patlaw, son of Patlaw, others, etc.
Son of Patlaw == Coletrain

wooduser

New User
Lecil
Besides all the knowledge that I hope I can remember when I need it, this was a great workshop that presented you with the hand and power tool skills to complete a project. Phil’s knowledge and skills will be useful to the attendees for years to come.
A great big thanks to Phil for the workshop.

Lecil Alexander

VTHokie

New User
John
The class was well worth the trip down from Richmond and I'd gladly do it again. A wealth of good information and practical experience and it was good to meet some fellow woodworkers and put some faces to names. Many thanks to Phil for holding this class in his workshop and sharing his wealth of knowledge and experience!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm talking about pics #1, 2, & 7. Of course Michael Mathews won't be in the pics. Phil, the instructor and host, is clear to me me, but the other 6-7 participants are a mystery.

OK, where in these photos is Patlaw and Coletrain?

Good pics by Michael but it's impossible to put a name/face together clearly.

Son of Patlaw == Coletrain

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Thanks to Phil and Mike for their generous gift of time, knowledge, the shop, the wood, and the user of their tools! Even though I have used most of these tools at home, getting explanations of how to maximize their use and the importance of wood orientation I learned. I also learned about scrapers, and planes, and really of interest was the discussion around finishing of wood with lacquers and stains.

Thanks to @Phil S and @Michael Mathews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS