Baseline Skills Workshop signup - Raleigh - July 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am pleased to announce a new series of workshops to build and reinforce baseline woodworking skills using both power and hand tools

The July workshop will be focused on lumber selection and milling using a mix of tooling with plenty of hands-on exercises

Class details:
- lumber grading and sources
- rough vs S2 vs S4
- lumber storage
- power milling using jointer, planer, table saw and bandsaw
- hand tool alternatives for above
- checking for flat and square (including 5 cut method)
- hand plane and scraper honing demo and exercise
- hand plane and scraper exercise to remove milling marks, size adjustment and ready for finish without sanding

Class will run from 9am to 3 or 4 pm at my shop in NE Raleigh (shop has AC). Lunch will be provided

Cost of class is $30 donation to site - NO charge for active military

I cannot be held responsible for participants gaining a desire for Hammer, Powermatic or Lie-Nielsen tools

Next in the series of Baseline Skills workshops will be joinery probably late August

To ensure enough hands-on for all, the max number of students will be eight

Sign-up by responding to this post - I will keep list below

1. Clay (cobraguy)
2. Michael Mathews
3. Cole (coletrain)
4. Mike (patlaw)
5. Johnny (jcz)
6. Johnathon (breakyr)
7. Lecil (wooduser)
8. Greg (jgregj)

Stand-by
1. Scott (Grimmy2016)
2. John (VTHokie)

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The date does not work for me but if there are follow up ones I would like to attend.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Will this be a one day class? On Saturday? I may be interested.

Yes this class will be one day on Saturday July 28. There will be followup classes on other baseline skills on other Saturdays.

If my schedule allows, I will do a class each month on different basic skills

Possible future schedule would be:
August - basic joinery
Sept - edge treatment
Oct - ??

Jak3

New User
Jacob
I'm interested and the date sounds good but I'll have to ask my parents if I can go that far for a class. I'm almost 2 hours away.

JGregJ

New User
Greg
I would like to attend. I have little experience with the hand tools and would appreciate the opportunity to learn how to use them

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Please put me on the tentative list. Need to confirm family vacation is definitely not happening that week!

VTHokie

New User
John
Hello Phil - please put me in the last stand-by slot. I'd love to attend if a space opens up!

Thanks for offering the class for an unbeatable price!

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I don't know? I have been hearing a lot about a snake infested workshop area. You guys may want to take a sharp shovel with you.
I'm just saying.........

David Turner
North Raleigh

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't know? I have been hearing a lot about a snake infested workshop area. You guys may want to take a sharp shovel with you.
I'm just saying.........

David Turner
North Raleigh
dont worry Phil don't bite that bad. And he can cook!

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
And just maybe the snakes will be for lunch. You can do a lot with a good BBQ sauce. uuumm uuummm Tastes like chicken!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Actually they do taste just like chicken. Best to cut up in nugget size and cook on a stick over a camp fire. Easy to clean, just hold by the head, cut the skin around just behind the head and peel off the skin - be careful, they do tend to get mad when you do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS