Barn wood - weathered wood? small quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I am looking for a small quantity of weathered (gray?) barn wood (or fence or ...).

Ideally this will be 4/4 type material, although it can be thicker; this will be made into a table top, so severe warping or cupping won't work well.

I need to make a 25" diameter circle so I would like several pieces that are at least that long; just over 4 sq ft would work. Prefer wider pieces (say 5" or greater) rather than narrow strips.

If anyone has a source, or has some themselves they'd be willing to sell, please respond or PM me.

I am in Raleigh, and prefer to stay within 25 miles to acquire this (not a strict limit of course, but the point is I don't really want to drive to WS or Charlotte for this).

Thanks

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Barn wood - found a place in Garner called the Barn Depot

I just did another search on CL, this time leaving out the term reclaimed. A place in Garner popped up, called the Barn Depot I believe, open Saturdays. The pics look like they have what I need.
I'm still open to other offers though.

Thanks

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

I watched an episode of Salvage Dawgs recently where they reclaimed a bunch of barn wood. It was interesting to see how much of it was in bad shape and still desirable. We have a couple of barns in Salisbury in which the outside wood is in bad shape, but there's "gold" inside. I may want to stop at one or both of these locations to see what's valuable in terms of reclaimed wood.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

I may want to stop at one or both of these locations to see what's valuable in terms of reclaimed wood.[/QUOTE

Don't expect to find a veritable gold mine at either place. They don't pay top dollar to someone with a truck load of reclaimed lumber and they don't sell that lumber for top dollar either.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

Don't expect to find a veritable gold mine at either place. They don't pay top dollar to someone with a truck load of reclaimed lumber and they don't sell that lumber for top dollar either.
Not looking for a gold mine. Just trying to find out whether to bulldoze the barn or take it apart piece by piece.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Barnwood Depot in Garner - successful trip

I am looking for a small quantity of weathered (gray?) barn wood (or fence or ...).

Ideally this will be 4/4 type material, although it can be thicker; this will be made into a table top, so severe warping or cupping won't work well.

I need to make a 25" diameter circle so I would like several pieces that are at least that long; just over 4 sq ft would work. Prefer wider pieces (say 5" or greater) rather than narrow strips.

If anyone has a source, or has some themselves they'd be willing to sell, please respond or PM me.

I am in Raleigh, and prefer to stay within 25 miles to acquire this (not a strict limit of course, but the point is I don't really want to drive to WS or Charlotte for this).

Thanks

Update - I found what I need at the Barnwood Depot in Garner - search CL for "barn wood" in Materials to find an ad.
They had what i needed, and a lot more. Good quantity and selection.
$3/BF for pine and $4/BF for oak.

Last edited:

Dlpaige

New User
Debbie
Re: Barnwood Depot in Garner - successful trip

Hi, owner of the Barnwood Depot here! I am new to this group but I am excited to see people talking about Barnwood and the Barnwood Depot. My husband and I deal exclusively with reclaimed Barnwood from North Carolina and do the barn demos ourselves by hand. We have taken down over 70 barns locally in the last three years. We project with the wood and have open wood sales on every Saturday from our Garner location from 11 to 5. Also available by appointment during the week. 1326 bobbitt dr. Garner, NC 27529. 919-473-3252

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Re: Barnwood Depot in Garner - successful trip

Have you considered using SYP, Oak or Poplar and applying the Pioneer Wood Patina. This material actually works well and you can use straight, square lumber that has been surfaced and get essentially the same look.

The material actually works great and has a similar look to barn wood. Barn wood cut edges do not have the patina. A finish can be used to get the same effect on every surface.

The advantage of reclaimed wood is very old SYP has a tight grain pattern. Once planed and refinished, it is hard enough for flooring. In addition there is some reclaim that is Chesnut which is hard to come by as new lumber. Depending upon you use, it may not need to be reclaimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS