Barbie House Storage Dresser - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I started a thread in the finishing forum about 'Stain Options on Hickory (Pecan)', http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41004. But at this point, I thought I would continue over here as a Work-In-Progress thread.

My daughters have a Barbie house with loads of pieces and parts. In an effort to make clean-up easier, I decided they needed somewhere to put all those parts when it was time to clean up. This storage dresser has two drawers for storage and a slide-out shelf for a play area.

IMG_07812.JPG

I just cut the top trim pieces and routed the profile. Once I get the pecan gel stain (sample in right drawer opening) on the drawer fronts, slider shelf and top trim, I will be ready for final glue up, sanding and top-coat finishing! :gar-Bi​

I am thinking about topping with an amber shellac and maybe a more protective top coat.​

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Tom,

The pull-out shelf was my on idea. Actually the whole thing was my own design, but it was based on a basic dresser/chest of drawers design. I took the idea of a pull out shelf from a old office desk. I will have to see if I have a support issue when they pull it out and start playing on it.

On an aside, I saw the pic with your name. Nice beagle. We have a 13 year old 13" beagle that looks a lot like yours. Good dog.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Marvin.

I am quite sure that the wee ones are really gonna like that pecan gel stain when its complete.

They will no doubt get plenty of enjoyment out of it and will be the envy of their friends for a long time!:icon_thum

Nice work.

Wayne

(Keep tryin' to convince them that paint ain't the way fine furniture is normally finished!!!!!)

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I am putting the Bartley Gel Stain on tonight. I have two coats on now. I will check tomorrow to see if we want to go to 3 coats. My plan is to top with an Amber/Orange Shellac to get something closer to the natural peacan heartwood color.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I can't believe it has been 9 days since my last post. While I have been silent, I have not been idle.

IMG_08192.JPG

I have:
  1. Stained the trim and drawer fronts with Bartley Peacan Gel Stain
  2. Dyed the top of the sliding shelf Emeral Green with MinWax Express WB Dye
  3. Glued up the drawers and trim
  4. Installed the drawer pulls, which the girls picked out
Next, I have to fashion the sliding shelf pulls.:eusa_thin I guess I should have thought a little more on how I was going to get a pull on a ~3/4" shelf. I have an idea... it involves my router, maybe the dremel and a bit of hand sanding/shaping. We'll see how that turns out.

It's a small project, but I'm having fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors