Banjo Adjustment Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Suddenly the banjo on my lathe won't stay tightened. When i push the lever down, and release my hand, you can see the lever end start to rise on its own.:shocked7fl: Any suggestions?

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Any accumulated debris on the underside of the cam? Sometimes grime can accumulate on the cam and cause the banjo to slip. I have also heard of bent cams that cannot be tightened properly. I am assuming you had no problems and slowly this problem manifested itself.....

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Any accumulated debris on the underside of the cam? Sometimes grime can accumulate on the cam and cause the banjo to slip. I have also heard of bent cams that cannot be tightened properly. I am assuming you had no problems and slowly this problem manifested itself.....
Actually, I think it happened suddenly right around the time my work piece slipped out the chuck. See my post on off center.

Monty

New User
Monty
What is a banjo?

A banjo is that part of a lathe that holds the tool rest.

banjo.jpg

No idea what solution to offer, other than maybe make sure the threads are clean...?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. I think I'll pull it off and take underneath and see if there is dirt and re-adjust the tension thing:saw:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve, once you take it off you will probably find a nut that you will be able to tight up a little. Be careful how much you tighten it because if could add to much tension on the rod. I had the rod for my tail stock on my Jet mini lathe break on me a while back.

Here are a couple of pix of the rod that broke. It seems like a pretty poor design to me.

D L

Attachments

• DSCF0067.JPG
    DSCF0067.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF0068.JPG
    DSCF0068.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 219

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
May have bent the cam when you lost grip on the chuck. Do you remember striking it?
I had a round nose scraper doing the hollowing, when it happened and I was being way to agressive with it. It started to chatter and I ignored it:sad9cd: and then all went to ....:BangHead: As soon as I get a chance to take it off, I'll let you'all know what I probably messed up:frown3qg:

cskipper

Cathy
I had a round nose scraper doing the hollowing, when it happened and I was being way to agressive with it. It started to chatter and I ignored it:sad9cd: and then all went to ....:BangHead: As soon as I get a chance to take it off, I'll let you'all know what I probably messed up:frown3qg:

Write this down and hang it on the wall closest to your lathe (print in large enough print to read it while standing at your lathe):

When there is a distinct change while turning anything, including chatter, I will stop and see if I can determine the cause. I will not ignore the new symptom!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mystery Solved!!!

Though I feel a bit stupid. This is my first lathe, so I really didn't think about it. Since I have had it, I always tightened the banjo by simply pulling the handle down to whatever position tightened the banjo in position, usually about 120 degrees from TDC. No problem, though on occasion it would loosen, but I would just re-tighten it and that would last quite a while.

It was only yesterday, that it didn't stay tightened at all. As I mentioned, you could see the handle move into a loose position:BangHead:

So this morning I removed it, assuming that some shavings were caught in the mechanism. I took it apart, clean it up, and re-assembled it. Same thing, but even worse:BangHead: :BangHead:

Took it off again and this time looked at how the mechanism very carefully to see how it worked. And this it what I found.
banjoAt90.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see that the shaft doesn't fit into the recess at the end. This is with the at 90 deg from TDC. No way this could be stable, given that machined surface,:shocked7fl:

banjoAt270.jpg

At 270 deg, the same thing, just on the opposite side.

banjoAt180.jpg

But at 180, the machined surface, fits right into the recess in the the casting:yes4lo: Conclusion, put the banjo back, loosen the lock nut at the bottom, turn handle to 180 and then tighten the lock just enough so that banjo doesn't move.

Now it works like a champ. When loose, it is easier to adjust position:eusa_danc , when locked down it is very secure:eusa_danc .

The only thing that bothers me after this little mechanical investigation, is that I suspect that all banjos work something like this and I was so ignorant, that when mine didn't didn't go all the way down to the 180 position that I didn't realize it needed an adjustment right out of the box.:crybaby2: :oops:

Also, all the pictures in the Rikon Manual show the handle in the 270 position as tightened down:frown3qg:

Oh and one more thing, why did it at all until yesterday? My only guess is based on how rough the casting surface is and it created enough friction to hold it in place until it used a lot.:eyeslam:

T

toolferone

Nice investigation work there Steve! It is no something else I know that I can pass along to a customer. Thanks for sharing the fix with us.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Aw, come on turners. Is the way most banjos work, or was I missing the obvious? Mike, big Mike, Phil, Cad, Monty, Dave. Please I really want to know! Please:eusa_pray

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Steve, I have not encountered the problem you described. But with most banjo mechanisms you just turn them until the cam is tight. If I am understanding what you are saying you found the cam was catching on a rough spot in the casting. That is not normal. With most banjo tightening mechanisms there is no specific angle or number of degrees you turn the handle to make it tight, it is just where you turn it until it becomes tight. Shoot Steve, I think all of the above means, I don't know for sure. Yeah, that is my best answer, I don't know.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve, I can't comment. My lathe is so old it uses a nut and bolt that I tighten with a wrench....a big PITA if you're doing any spindle work longer than 6" :BangHead:

Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, I have not encountered the problem you described. But with most banjo mechanisms you just turn them until the cam is tight. If I am understanding what you are saying you found the cam was catching on a rough spot in the casting. That is not normal. With most banjo tightening mechanisms there is no specific angle or number of degrees you turn the handle to make it tight, it is just where you turn it until it becomes tight. Shoot Steve, I think all of the above means, I don't know for sure. Yeah, that is my best answer, I don't know.
The catching on a rough spot was the reason it was working before the goblet broke. On this one, the internal desigh is definitely intended for the handle to be down at the 180 deg point. Now it makes me wonder about my tailstock:shocked7fl:

But with most banjo mechanisms you just turn them until the cam is tight.
That's what I had assumed but the Rikon is definetly not that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors