Bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hambone

New User
Andrew
Hello All,

I have some 4" wide walnut that i would like to have a slight curve cut into the face at the ends of the boards for a table base. Does anyone know of a shop around Raleigh that has a bandsaw that could do this?

Andrew

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Andrew
Welcome to NCWW. This is a great resource for local woodworkers.

If I read this correctly, it seems like any bandsaw or even jigsaw could accomplish this task. What tools do you have access to?
If you need help send me an private message (click on my name in blue on the left, and select 'private message'). I can help you if needed. I am in the west side of Raleigh, near Cary Crossroads; we can work out a time.

I also expect that there may be offers of help from NCWW folks closer to you.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
'Andrew I am in Clayton. Touch base with me and we’ll try to help you out

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Sorry Dirk, you missed out on the pleasure of meeting and assisting Andrew, but I did have that pleasure.

We met on Saturday morning at my shop, talked a good bit, then finally got down to what he wanted to do.

In essence this was rounding over the ends of 4 8/4 pieces of walnut that will form parts of the leg set for his dining room table. He showed up here with these perfectly milled pieces - so although this was his first hardwood project, he clearly had the chops in terms of stock prep. A few minutes instruction on BS (with my ol' Jet 14" bs, not especially highly tuned) and a few test cuts (Adrew bought a test piece), then we surmised that more blade tension might be a good thing. That helped. and he quickly mastered the cut necessary. A few more minutes on the stationary belt sander to smooth out those curves, and tada - he was done. I guess we talked for more than few minutes because he was here for almost two hours!

T'was an absolute pleasure to meet Andrew, and be able to share a slice of WW'ing with him. He's not afraid to take on a challenging project, and I suspect we'll see some cool projects from him over time. Sorry no pics happened, so no cameras were hurt in the process. The only evidence is walnut sawdust in my shop - a first - and 4 rounded over leg sets, bit oddly enough Andrew took them with him.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
In essence this was rounding over the ends of 4 8/4 pieces of walnut that will form parts of the leg set for his dining room table. He showed up here with these perfectly milled

8/4 walnut x 4"w. I'm lost as to what faces he wanted rounded over and how he'll use these pieces for his table legs. I'm guessing it was rounding over the 8/4 (2"t) edges. :icon_scra

Hambone

New User
Andrew
Henry - Thank you so much for opening up your shop for me and allowing me to use your tools. I really appreciate you taking the time out to help a fellow woodworker. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and hopefully our paths will cross again!

We did spend a few minutes talking but I thoroughly enjoyed it and was trying to soak up as much knowledge as I could! That stationary belt sander was definitely a life saver, the couple of minutes per piece on the belt sander saved me HOURS of sanding since I probably would of done it by hand. Not sure I would of trust my skills with a ROS on a curve like that.

Dirk - Thank you for the offer. This community really is remarkable how so many people reached out to offer assistance. I have been a long time reader who just never set up an account. Now that I have one I will plan to engage more!

Hambone

New User
Andrew
8/4 walnut x 4"w. I'm lost as to what faces he wanted rounded over and how he'll use these pieces for his table legs. I'm guessing it was rounding over the 8/4 (2"t) edges. :icon_scra

No we actually curved the 4" thick face. I am making kind of a farmhouse style trestle table. I curved both ends of the board and it will sit horizontally.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No we actually curved the 4" thick face.

You mean the 4" wide face? You could have made those cuts with a jigsaw instead of a bandsaw. Nonetheless, you and Henry enjoyed meeting and yacking together.

I'm beginning to understand your design for the trestle table and these 4 pieces are going to be the stretchers joining the leg "trestles" at each end of the table? Why are 4 pieces needed for your design? Just curious.

Our picture Gallery isn't working so that's no help.

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jeff
I PM'd with Andrew a bit before he came over, and I still did not understand exactly what kind of cut was needed. A pic would be great here, and words seem to make it more difficult.

Look at this link of a Restoration hardware table.
https://www.restorationhardware.com...?productId=prod6470197&categoryId=cat10220034
See the base pieces of the leg set - there's a double curve on there. Now imagine that as a piece half as thick (tall as we see in the picture), and with a single curve. That is the curve Andrew wanted to cut; it's really a round-over on the end grain portion. See why a jig saw likely wouldn't 'cut it'?

Hope that helps.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Henry.

Andrew said that he wanted to build a trestle table, but the one that you're showing is a pedestal table, not a trestle table.

His descriptions of what he wanted to build are absolutely terrible. He begins with 4 pieces of 8/4 walnut (2" thick) and now we've got a leg that's 4" thick.

A quick hand drawn sketch would have been really informative, but he's a newbie and still learning.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jeff
...but he understood that he needed a Band Saw, and was correct in his thinking.

Note that I only picked that picture to show the type of curve on the base of a leg. What he plans is something different again, but I won't try to describe that.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Henry.

Andrew said that he wanted to build a trestle table, but the one that you're showing is a pedestal table, not a trestle table.

His descriptions of what he wanted to build are absolutely terrible. He begins with 4 pieces of 8/4 walnut (2" thick) and now we've got a leg that's 4" thick.

A quick hand drawn sketch would have been really informative, but he's a newbie and still learning.

Jeff,
From the messages, I would not describe Andrew as a "newbie". No need to for judging and name calling. He may be new to the forum, but it sounds to me that he is comfortable with undertaking larger projects and honing his skills. That is something we all need to do everyday.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Andrew gladyou reached out and I am glad Henry helped you out. Thats what this forum is all about

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I understand and that's fine and good. Most of the time it's easier to understand a project description and maybe I was just being dense at the time.

Jeff
...but he understood that he needed a Band Saw, and was correct in his thinking.

Note that I only picked that picture to show the type of curve on the base of a leg. What he plans is something different again, but I won't try to describe that.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff,
From the messages, I would not describe Andrew as a "newbie". No need to for judging and name calling. He may be new to the forum, but it sounds to me that he is comfortable with undertaking larger projects and honing his skills. That is something we all need to do everyday.

You're a bit off base with that accusation. Yes, he is new to NCWW but maybe not so new to woodworking per se. Look at his introductory first post above and right below his member name (Hambone) is the term "Newbie". That's a NCWW term, not Andrew's or mine.

Newbie, newb, noob, or n00b is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in a profession or activity.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Thanks Henry.

Hambone,
This isn't how we greet new members. Please accept our apologies. Jeff has a tendency to post with a total disregard for basic tact. His intention isn't usually as bad as the posts sound. Welcome to the site.

Hambone

New User
Andrew
No need to apologize, I did not take offense to his post. I did not take it as a personal attack on myself and I agree I did not do the best job explaining what I was trying to accomplish but that was the best I could come up with at the time. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not a problem Andrew. I couldn't really describe that process very well either.
Best I can come up with after a week to consider it is "a large diameter (2"?) round over on the end grain of a 4" wide 8/4 piece of walnut."

Point is that you needed a place to get it cut (and sanded) and we were able to do that.

Mission accomplished, on to the next stage of the project.

You gotta figure out how to post pics here because I do really need to see the final outcome - and as I told you, in process pics are even better. (I suspect your phone has a decent camera, so no excuses!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors