Bandsaw Table: Expansion

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am preparing for my next project, which is a dinning room table that is very similar to the build recently posted by Anthony (agrieco). The table is designed with large pedestals that will require work on the bandsaw. I have a 14" Rikon, but as with most bandsaws, the table is not very large - certainly not large enough for me to safely and confidently cut a large block of wood into a shapely pedestal. Consequently, I added auxiliary surface area to the top. Overall, I am pleased with the result. Are the additions perfectly co-planer? No. The actual bandsaw top is slightly proud of the other surfaces. I have thought about covering the entire top with a thin sheet or hardboard, but I am not sure that is necessary. I have a tendency to overthink and over-engineer (some of you guys have a gift of arriving at simple/elegant solutions). Here are some pictures. Looking forward to seeing folks at tomorrow's picnic!

uLGQy7PCSie+IATXmyecuw.jpg
H4SkQBk+SJWvjihgyhZ1EA.jpg
qOR9k5dPQ1W8m6M8Pky+SA.jpg
tDddYs2PSOutR3vl+Rb3qg.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Wow, you added a lot of extra table surface. That looks great.

Are you going to cut a slot in the infeed side table so you can change blades, or will you just remove that table when needed?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mark, I am not sure that I'll add a blade slot. While blade changes will require the removal of a couple of extra bolts from the slot side of the table, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. In the long term, I probably will remove the auxiliary portion on the slot/fence side of the table (leaving the other two extensions in place), replace the fence and cut a slot for the miter gauge to side on the out-feed auxiliary.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors