Bandsaw Problems

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know most of you think I don't have outlets in the garage, but I do and attached to one of them is a 90's-2000's Delta bandsaw.
Now, let me make this disclaimer - when I bought this bandsaw, I had 18 years less knowledge than I have now...
I would NOT recommend this era Delta equipment to anyone!

I noticed a problem for some time, the upper wheel adjustment would "stick" up or down and the spring tension was insufficient to move it.
yesterday I decided to pull it apart and see what the problem was.
Now mind you this saw worked well for some time 10, maybe 16 years!

I pulled the upper wheel and sheet metal cover so I could see the wheel adjustment and determine if there was something wrong. (build-up of sawdust or ???)
View attachment 29771
The diecast piece was not "free" meaning I couldn't move it by hand (attempting to push it up or down in the cast iron grooves.
I then did a little "stupid" and tapped it with a soft face hammer.
View attachment 29773
DON'T do that! the die casting can't even hold up to a light tap!
Interesting thing, the casting broke, but the wheel mount did not move! (Delta calls it a "sliding bracket") https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-28254-type-1434-band-saw-parts-c-3275_3481_14173.html
So I pried on it with a wooden stick (should have done that from the start)
It took a hammer handle (12" lever) to move the bracket!
I cleaned the grooves in the cast iron and the "tabs" on the edges of the bracket to see why the assembly was jamming.

I saw that there were scuffs on the bracket, so I filed the faces that ride on the cast iron "upper frame assembly"
I wish I would have measured the thickness of the "tabs" that ride in the grooves in the cast iron, but I didn't...
I put the bracket back in and didn't see much improvement, so I "levered" it back out and took a carbide scraper (this is a scraper used for scraping ways for machine tools) to remove a little more material faster than with a file.
I had also filed some from the edges of the bracket, not knowing specifically what was causing the bracket not to move freely...
Now I can move the bracket by hand, but I want it to move freely in the grooves
Well after a little trial and error, I used some dykem blue to really see what was going on!
View attachment 29774
Here is another view of the other side of the die casting
View attachment 29776

I have a little more to take off the edges of the bracket and hopefully it will move freely in the cast iron "upper frame assembly"

My big question is this - What changed?
There was not a build-up of sawdust or bad/old grease in the assembly, I used PB Blaster Dry Lube with the express idea that sawdust will not build up in the assembly!https://www.grainger.com/product/16...09039&ef_id=V0XzKwAAAd1WBatN:20190227151751:s

I will admit this is not the highest quality machine - I have changed the table trunnions as many who have owned these machines have since they are poorly designed die-castings.

But still, why would (how could) the die casting or the cast iron dimensions change enough to stop the bracket from moving in the assembly?

Metal (the zinc die-casting) can't expand and the cast iron can't shrink, so what happened?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Could there be an oxidation issue between the metals?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Metal can shrink and expand with cold and heat. Has the storage area been abnormally cold lately?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Metal can shrink and expand with cold and heat. Has the storage area been abnormally cold lately?
The bandsaw is stored in the garage which is subject to heat and cold, but not excessive so as to cause expansion or contraction of the metal, and the real question is if it expanded or contracted, how did it take a "set" for each of the parts to stay at the opposite points to dimensional interference!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
twisted upper arm or slide bracket?
Not that I could see - but I really stopped diagnosing when I started scraping the die casting...

So a little new light - I did get the band saw running and the casting is sliding up and down in the cast iron slots again!

but I did notice that the "Blade guide lock knob" seemed loose...
then it came off in my hand...

I looked at it a little further (I pulled the die-cast portion of the knob and then unscrewed the threaded and knurled steel portion of the knob) and presently dropped the diecast portion of the knob and broke it...

Now I could focus on another portion of this poorly designed bandsaw...

Yup! you guessed it.. the die casting seemed to "swell" or the hole INCREASED in diameter...
Yes, there are knurls cast into the holed in the die casting that match the ones on the threaded portion AND yes in the past this knob worked perfectly - but I can pull and put the steel part in and out of the die casting.

A little JB weld a rubber band and the casting is and integral part of the guide lock knob again!
(no picture, but it did happen! bandsaw back in commission!!!)

So again, I ask - is what I am experiencing possible? yes, because I see it, do I believe it? not really because I am confident that a die cast part cannot change it's dimension... over time (15 years)

I bought this new from Lowe's and the non-functioning parts worked when new...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Buy Grizzly next time
Well... thanks :D

Remember when I started this - I know know I was under-educated. I just knew I wanted a bandsaw and thought I was buying a good brand... Delta! Who knew it had the quality designed out of it?!!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Iturra has a Catalog that is a wealth of information on the old generic 14" band saws made by Delta and others in the last 20-30 years. They are all out of the same factory. The Ridgid one HD sells is similar. Parts are mostly interchangeable.

At any rate Iturra will have better replacement parts than the original and fixes for many of the problems. Only catch is he has no web site or mail order. You have to call him and request a catalog. I don't have the number handy, but search for his name here and you'll probably find it in another thread. He is in Florida.

wwidmer

New User
Bill
Glad it's going for you again. Is this saw after Delta started importing them from China? Used 14" Delta band saws from the 50's and 60's pop up fairly often.

camlane

New User
cam
I know most of you think I don't have outlets in the garage, but I do and attached to one of them is a 90's-2000's Delta bandsaw.
Now, let me make this disclaimer - when I bought this bandsaw, I had 18 years less knowledge than I have now...
I would NOT recommend this era Delta equipment to anyone!

I noticed a problem for some time, the upper wheel adjustment would "stick" up or down and the spring tension was insufficient to move it.
yesterday I decided to pull it apart and see what the problem was.
Now mind you this saw worked well for some time 10, maybe 16 years!

I pulled the upper wheel and sheet metal cover so I could see the wheel adjustment and determine if there was something wrong. (build-up of sawdust or ???)
View attachment 29771
The diecast piece was not "free" meaning I couldn't move it by hand (attempting to push it up or down in the cast iron grooves.
I then did a little "stupid" and tapped it with a soft face hammer.
View attachment 29773
DON'T do that! the die casting can't even hold up to a light tap!
Interesting thing, the casting broke, but the wheel mount did not move! (Delta calls it a "sliding bracket") https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-28254-type-1434-band-saw-parts-c-3275_3481_14173.html
So I pried on it with a wooden stick (should have done that from the start)
It took a hammer handle (12" lever) to move the bracket!
I cleaned the grooves in the cast iron and the "tabs" on the edges of the bracket to see why the assembly was jamming.

I saw that there were scuffs on the bracket, so I filed the faces that ride on the cast iron "upper frame assembly"
I wish I would have measured the thickness of the "tabs" that ride in the grooves in the cast iron, but I didn't...
I put the bracket back in and didn't see much improvement, so I "levered" it back out and took a carbide scraper (this is a scraper used for scraping ways for machine tools) to remove a little more material faster than with a file.
I had also filed some from the edges of the bracket, not knowing specifically what was causing the bracket not to move freely...
Now I can move the bracket by hand, but I want it to move freely in the grooves
Well after a little trial and error, I used some dykem blue to really see what was going on!
View attachment 29774
Here is another view of the other side of the die casting
View attachment 29776

I have a little more to take off the edges of the bracket and hopefully it will move freely in the cast iron "upper frame assembly"

My big question is this - What changed?
There was not a build-up of sawdust or bad/old grease in the assembly, I used PB Blaster Dry Lube with the express idea that sawdust will not build up in the assembly!https://www.grainger.com/product/16...09039&ef_id=V0XzKwAAAd1WBatN:20190227151751:s

I will admit this is not the highest quality machine - I have changed the table trunnions as many who have owned these machines have since they are poorly designed die-castings.

But still, why would (how could) the die casting or the cast iron dimensions change enough to stop the bracket from moving in the assembly?

Metal (the zinc die-casting) can't expand and the cast iron can't shrink, so what happened?
I had a similar problem with a casting on a Delta drill press.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors