Bandsaw Milling of Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovol

New User
John V
So I have a handful of logs in my backyard that were dropped and bucked to 2-5' logs, mostly pines. For fun today I brought a few of them to the 14" bandsaw and milled about 5 of them. A few were ~8" in diameter, two of them were about 10". Here are my spoils from the evening:
attachment.php

milled most of them to about 2-1/4", hopefully will be able to get 2" out of them after jointing/planing.

Despite the relative success, I could tell it was pretty rough on my bandsaw. Fortunately I have a blade on there right now that I'm about to toss anyways. Does anyone use a quick and simple method for smoothly running these logs on the bandsaw? Especially the first cut, since there's no flat edge. I was thinking of making a sled with a 90deg fence that I could fasten the log to, but I wanted to hear others' ideas.

John

Attachments

• milledwood.jpg
    milledwood.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 314

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
A simple sled that you can clamp or screw the log to will work. You just don't want it to spin as you're making the cut, as you know.
Nice little haul you got out of them.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Look up Matthias Wandel on Youtube. He set up his bandsaw to mill logs and it worked out really well.

Roy G

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My sled is simple; two pieces of plywood fastened together in a butt joint, with a 3/4" strip on the backside for a little rigidity. The 3/4" strip actually sits atop the bottom piece, and against the upright piece. I run a couple of 1 1/2" dry wall screws through the back upright piece, into the log. Use my fence to run this along, and also determine thickness of the cut. 2 sides cut and the rest is like easy!

jovol

New User
John V
My sled is simple; two pieces of plywood fastened together in a butt joint, with a 3/4" strip on the backside for a little rigidity. The 3/4" strip actually sits atop the bottom piece, and against the upright piece. I run a couple of 1 1/2" dry wall screws through the back upright piece, into the log. Use my fence to run this along, and also determine thickness of the cut. 2 sides cut and the rest is like easy!
Just what I had in mind! What's the biggest log you've run through? I have a 5ft x 12" log I really want to cut, but it's just on the edge of me being able to handle it solo.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Just what I had in mind! What's the biggest log you've run through? I have a 5ft x 12" log I really want to cut, but it's just on the edge of me being able to handle it solo.

I wouldn't even consider trying to cut a log that heavy and that long. You need support so the log doesn't tip in any way, or you might pinch and twist the blade; that is very likely too happen. If you could come up wit some way to support your assembly, that could work.Check out
http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/
They sell a system to make your 14" or larger band saw, into a saw mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS