Bandsaw makes loud screehing sound when cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
I have a Jet 14 inch bandsaw ha thas performed well fro several years with moderate use. I use it much more during the last two years.

All of a sudden it has started making a loud screeching sound ONLY when cutting wood. When I first put the wod to the blade it sonds noramll but for only a few seconds and then a iget th screeching sound. It sounds like it is coming from the upper portion of the saw but I cannot pinpoint the location. Bearings seem to be OK and there is no apparent play in them. When running without cutting all seems to be normal.

It seems kinda of scary. I don't want to run it if I am causing damage to the tool.

This noise just started today.

Ant ideas where I go to fix the problem?

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
The thrust bearings behind the blade either above or below the table need to be replaced. Replace them all, it's not that expensive.

Greg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Be sure and buy SEALED bearings. Brand doesn't really matter, as these are "wear items." If you have a Fastenal close to you, they are dirt cheap on bearings. Sure they are Chinese, but the ones you get from Jet will also be Chinese, but at a MUCH greater price

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I just bought a set of 10 for my 18" Rikon off ebay for $17.35 shipped.Sealed and chinese but for that price I'll replace them next year again.
Greg

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Thanks , Greg. I looked at them but didn't give the idea much credibility. I will clean and oil tomorrow to see if that makes any difference. If that's the case, I will go ahead and order replacements.

Jim Roche

jim
User
You can also get bearings at most local auto parts stores like Carquest, if you didn't want to order online. I've purchased many of sets from them for a reasonable cost, the Carquest in Raleigh on Germantown Rd has actually pressed some on when I needed it.

Good luck!
Jim

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Thanks Jim

I several in the area. I'll check them out. I do find pretty good deals at e-repalcement parts. com and I get discount from Woodworkers Supply, but this may be better.

Sgt DAVE

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just out of curiosity, how long has the blade been on the saw? Have you tried a new/sharp blade? Try putting some wax on the backside of the blade and see if that makes a difference.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Problem solved - thanks to all who contributed.

Remove thrust bearings, cleaned ioled and reset them. Made certain all adjustments correct an cool blocks in correct place.

Noise is gone. I noticed on of the bearings spins more freely than the other, so I'm guessing we found the culprit. Saw is usable now, but I have repalcemert bearings on order. Not taking any chances.

The problem isolating the noise was that the cabinet carries the sound so well that you cannot easily detect area of origin.

Thanks to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS