Bandsaw Jig for Cutting Bowl Blanks

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Threw together this jig to cut rounds on my Rikon 14" Bandsaw. The slide edges are cut on a 45 degree and heavily waxed for easy sliding. There is a Tee nut along with a 1/4"-20 bolt in the base that threads up to stop the slide from moving once set to the diameter desired. There is a small nail located about 2" in from the end of the slide near the black tick mark on the slide. Drill a 1/8" hole about 1/2" deep in the blank and place on nail. Turn on the bandsaw and slide the blank onto the miter slot and engage the blade then when the stop block contacts the table, turn the blank to complete the cut.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I haveone very similar but it does not have the sliding center bar. I like yours.....maybe redo mine when I get time

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
looks good! I'm guessing you have some kind of outboard support for when that ambitious 30" diam. blank comes your way

gritz

New User
Robert
Threw together this jig to cut rounds on my Rikon 14" Bandsaw. The slide edges are cut on a 45 degree and heavily waxed for easy sliding. There is a Tee nut along with a 1/4"-20 bolt in the base that threads up to stop the slide from moving once set to the diameter desired. There is a small nail located about 2" in from the end of the slide near the black tick mark on the slide. Drill a 1/8" hole about 1/2" deep in the blank and place on nail. Turn on the bandsaw and slide the blank onto the miter slot and engage the blade then when the stop block contacts the table, turn the blank to complete the cut.View attachment 183824View attachment 183825
+1 on the outboard support. I have a somewhat different one and found I needed a lock to prevent drifting.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
looks good! I'm guessing you have some kind of outboard support for when that ambitious 30" diam. blank comes your way
LOL, some things you do and just don't think about. I will need an outboard support. I believe I have one that will reach high enough to suffice. Now, how do I lift a 30" chunk of wood up there to cut that blank???

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
LOL, some things you do and just don't think about. I will need an outboard support. I believe I have one that will reach high enough to suffice. Now, how do I lift a 30" chunk of wood up there to cut that blank???
Time to build a gantry and buy a chain-fall! (did someone say new tools?!)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS