Bandsaw Help

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I put poly on my old Delta. I am convinced rubber is smarter. My current saw has a de-tensioning. Protects not just tires but the band .

Flute Maker

Mike
User
The wheels on the Rockwell 28-290 I have have a crown cut into them. So I could use a tire that isn’t crowned and I could just install it ?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The wheels on the Rockwell 28-290 I have have a crown cut into them. So I could use a tire that isn’t crowned and I could just install it ?
Sure. It'll work for a while as long as the tire fits properly as outlined above.
Glued on is always best.
Glued on and crowned is better for a super smooth operation. Tires have lumps in them and sometimes tires get stretched on with more rubber on one side than the other. Been there decades back.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Sure. It'll work for a while as long as the tire fits properly as outlined above.
Glued on is always best.
Glued on and crowned is better for a super smooth operation. Tires have lumps in them and sometimes tires get stretched on with more rubber on one side than the other. Been there decades back.
So you need to glue the urethane ones too? I just see using glue on rubber ones.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If, in the unlikely event, I were to put urethane tires on a Delta 14" saw, yes, I'd glue the on with 3M5200.
Urethane lasts for years. Rubber lasts for decades. Its your machine. Suit yourself but know the possible consequences of the various options.

Kelly

Kelly
User
Can somebody school me on what “crowning” is. I am generally familiar with bandsaws and have done my share of bandsawing, for an amateur.
I know tires get worn and need replacement. Is replacement what you mean, or is crowning something you do to a tire to restore the crown ?

Flute Maker

Mike
User
If, in the unlikely event, I were to put urethane tires on a Delta 14" saw, yes, I'd glue the on with 3M5200.
Urethane lasts for years. Rubber lasts for decades. Its your machine. Suit yourself but know the possible consequences of the various options.
How much/many 3 fluid oz tubes would I need ? I don’t like the cartridge tubes. I like the ones with squeezable tubes with the little cap you put on the end. *** Would two 3 fluid oz tubes be enough to do both tires? (I got some new rubber tires for it.). I just haven’t gotten to it yet)

3M 5200 Fast Cure White Marine Adhesive Sealant​

Item #556903Model #5203I​

(Lowes)

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
How much/many 3 fluid oz tubes would I need ? I don’t like the cartridge tubes. I like the ones with squeezable tubes with the little cap you put on the end. *** Would two 3 fluid oz tubes be enough to do both tires? (I got some new rubber tires for it.). I just haven’t gotten to it yet)

3M 5200 Fast Cure White Marine Adhesive Sealant​

Item #556903Model #5203I​

(Lowes)
It usually takes me about a third of a 5 oz. tube of adhesive to do two 14" tires, but one larger tube may be easier to decant so I'd be safe with two 3 oz. tubes. Take one back if you don't need to unwrap it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Can somebody school me on what “crowning” is. I am generally familiar with bandsaws and have done my share of bandsawing, for an amateur.
I know tires get worn and need replacement. Is replacement what you mean, or is crowning something you do to a tire to restore the crown ?
The laws of physics dictate that flat bands track in the middle of crowned pulleys (wheels). Crowns wear away over time and use. (See photos on the first page). Crowning an existing tire is something I've done many, many times. Sometimes there isn't enough rubber to do this but most of the time there is. No two people do it the same because no two people have the same experience level, imagination, and exactly the same resources.

Here's an opening to one rabbit hole: Tire Crowning - VintageMachinery.org Knowledge Base (Wiki)

Or go to OWWM.com and put "tire crowning" in the search box. Get some popcorn first.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I just noticed there is 3m 5200 white which is fast cure and black which is slow cure in 7 days (first time I’ve seen this) I would assume the fast cure is what I need???
I've only got experience with the black slow cure. The fast cure type should work fine also. For years I've used contact cement on rubber tires with only a few failures that I can attribute to bad adhesive or my lack of proper cleaning the mating surfaces. The rubber tires on my 20" saw were put on with regular contact cement in the late 1990s and they are still holding fine. Where I'm going with this is that fast cure or slow cure, I wouldn't be afraid of using either type of 5200.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I've only got experience with the black slow cure. The fast cure type should work fine also. For years I've used contact cement on rubber tires with only a few failures that I can attribute to bad adhesive or my lack of proper cleaning the mating surfaces. The rubber tires on my 20" saw were put on with regular contact cement in the late 1990s and they are still holding fine. Where I'm going with this is that fast cure or slow cure, I wouldn't be afraid of using either type of 5200.
Thanks again Bob

Flute Maker

Mike
User
154C6CAD-2B98-4BD3-8887-A51F438152ED.jpeg

Flute Maker

Mike
User
On the bottom wheel where the arrow is that edge has been worn down and is a lot smaller than the top wheel…I tried to highlight the edge of the wheel on both wheels. The bottom one is just a sliver ..it’s about .050”thick...the right one is about .140”…The above attachment shows the top wheel on the right a little better…….I used a black sharpy to darken the edge so it could be seen better

Attachments

• 6EF461B6-E737-4025-B72E-7C9CDE5259A9.jpeg
    6EF461B6-E737-4025-B72E-7C9CDE5259A9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS