bandsaw drift (again)

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I watched the Fine Woodworking video again and think I will use their method for drift. So why do I still have a question?

I have seen and read many times that the drift has to be corrected each time you change blades. If I understand the FWW video this is not necessary with their way.

Of course I have also seen BS drift is a myth. If you buy what ever it is they are selling:D.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Haven't seen the FWW video so I can't address their method. I can only tell you my experience. I test for drift every time I put a new blade on my bandsaw. And it is always present, but not the same on every blade. Maybe my saw isn't tuned correctly; or maybe I'm using the wrong blades; or maybe I don't know how to use a bandsaw; or maybe the spirits in my shop just don't like me. Who knows. But that has been my experience.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Haven't seen the FWW video so I can't address their method. I can only tell you my experience. I test for drift every time I put a new blade on my bandsaw. And it is always present, but not the same on every blade. Maybe my saw isn't tuned correctly; or maybe I'm using the wrong blades; or maybe I don't know how to use a bandsaw; or maybe the spirits in my shop just don't like me. Who knows. But that has been my experience.
I am convinced the BS is the easiest power tool in the shop to use but the most frustrating to keep set up correctly. I am positive the BS gods hate me.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
This is so much more entertaining to read if you forget that BS is meant to be bandsaw and not an abbreviation for a curse word...:D

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Here you go Keye, you can watch the master, Alex Snodgrass demonstrate how to setup a band saw blade--something I do every time I change a band, even putting one back on for 2nd-3rd time.

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thank you to NOTW. A little humor is really appreciated at this time

With much trepidation I turned the "BS" back on yesterday. The dang thing worked perfectly. I still do not go forth today with much hope.

I was a little disappointed Alex did not call as his office said he would. Still, I can not imagine he really has time to return individual calls.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Keye, Alex works for Carter part time. He may not have been given the message yet. He's a good guy give him a little time.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
On my saw the deflection the blade gets is below the table more than above. The Jet likes to set the rollers kinda far down so there is 4.5 inches +/- until the top of table.

Agree with others you have to get it just right or it drifts.......... setting the bs can be BS :D

Last edited:

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've been reading through this and other like threads with interest, my only input to this is this... my experience adds that some wood species tend to lend to wander on one direction or another based (in my observation) on grain direction or tension in the board. I've seen grain that didn't run exactly in line with the length of the board, and would cause some wander, and I've had boards that had tension that would do some real strange things on the band saw, and I've never been able to make every board run through do exactly the same thing every time. Usually I get straight cuts, but there are the odd ones that just won't cut right when trying to resaw.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
If all else fails, and the wood is small 2 passes on the table saw. Be very careful this is a kickback prone operation.

Pop

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Pop I wish I had read your post earlier. I am sitting here with bandages on the end of two fingers. Cutting off flesh is bad enough but being on blood thinner really makes it suck.

I was told years ago it is more dangerous to cut small pieces on a table saw than large pieces. YES IT IS.

Last week I was about to cut a very small piece on the table saw. Remembering what I was told I stopped and found a push stick. Should have remembered you also need to push parallel to the fence. Heck, I was being safe I had a push stick. I new immediately what I was doing wrong but it was to late. The hand holding the push stick and causing the binding is just fine. The other hand paid the price of loss of focus. It will take a couple of weeks but thankfully things will return to normal.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS