Bandsaw Adjustment Help Needed, Please

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I have a Delta X5 band saw with a riser and have been using it successfully for many years. A couple of weeks ago the blade came off while I was using it. Startling, but nothing was hurt except the blade. But now, I can't get a blade to track. Every blade moves toward the front of the saw and off the wheels. I have looked online and people talk about removing the wheel, adjusting the thingamajigger inside, etc. but that is beyond my mechanical skills and I am afraid I will "brick" the saw if I tried. Is anyone near Camden, SC area who knows something about this? I live in Cassatt half-way between Camden and Bethune.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Maybe there's nothing wrong with the mechanical adjustments on your saw. It could be a problem with the tires.

If the tires are old or polyurethane, they could have gotten loose on the wheel and need replacement.

Flat bands track in the middle of crowned pulleys. That's physics. If the tires seem tight on the wheels, then check the crown. It could be that the tires simply need to be re-crowned. That's not something easily done for everyone, so it may come down to simply replacing the tires.

1 bs crown - 1.jpg

The crown on these tires has worn away and won't track no matter what adjustments are made.

1 bs crown - 2.jpg

Same tires after re-crowning. As a side note, two years after this re-crowning was done, these poly tires got loose and came off.

Here's a problem Dan had a while back.
https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/bandsaw-tire-troubles-beware-urethane-users.65849/

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Also, check your tension adjuster. The bracket cracked on my older Jet BS (and many of these 14" BSs are very similar). If the failure is subtle rather than catastrophic, then it might not tension or track correctly without it being obvious what the issue is.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
This same thing happened to me about a month ago, but my saw is a Chiwanese import, although most band saws have nearly this same design.

Behind the upper wheel there is a cast aluminum piece that the upper wheel axle is pressed into that tilts the upper wheel when you adjust the blade tracking. As you turn the tracking knob it pushes on the lower end of this casting to tilt the upper wheel. It only takes a small amount of tilt to change the blade tracking. My casting broke, letting the upper wheel tilt fully forward and the blade came off.

Since the original source of my saw no longer exists (Trend Lines), finding a replacement piece has proven a bit futile, so my son and I made a replacement out of 1/2" thick aluminum plate and then pressed the axle from the old piece into it. It's nice to have a son who is a machinist, certified welder, and seems to be a McGuiver type of person who can create metal things out of nothing, it proved quite easy for him. Being made from solid plate instead if a cheap webbed casting I don't think this will ever happen to my saw again.

Since Delta has discontinued stocking replacement parts for most of it's older products, I hope you don't have the same problem finding the part for your saw. If you dis-assemble the upper wheel shaft mechanism the problem, if it's the same as mine, will be very obvious. It's the piece that the upper axle is pressed into, and in my case the broken off piece fell out as I removed the back side wheel cover.

Charley

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have had pretty good luck getting Grizzly parts to fit old Delta band saws.

Also there is a guy in Florida that makes some parts and sells new tire/bands his catalog/manual is worth the effort to track him down.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
All the above suggestions are great. Check the rubber wheels 1st. The Band Saw rubber wheel bands are cheap likely they may have just a plat spot.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Susan, first try adjusting the tracking. It's really simple; on the back side of the upper part of the band saw, the side opposite the side you feed the wood into, there is a knob right in the middle of the cover. The knob will turn as it's threaded, but has a large wing nut or other locking nut that can be loosened with your fingers. Loosen that wing nut first, just a turn or so. Next I like to carefully turn the top band wheel with my left hand, looking directly at the saw band as it comes over the top of the wheel. The knob in the middle of the cover on the back side of the saw can now be turned clockwise or counter clockwise. That will adjust the tilt of the top wheel, and thus also allow the band to track correctly. To achieve proper tracking, turn the knob and watch the band as it moves to different portions of the wheel face. If the band wants to come off the toward the front side, the infeed side, the knob should be loosened, turned counterclockwise just a tiny bit, this makes the band climb toward the back. If it wants to run off the wheel toward the back, then the knob needs to be turned clockwise just a tiny bit.

So in a nut shell, loosen the wing nut on the knob on the back side cover, then turn the knob right or left to get the blade to track.

Go here and watch this video with Alex Snodgrass on how to install a new blade. These are must do steps for proper operation.
https://www.youtube.com › watch

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have had pretty good luck getting Grizzly parts to fit old Delta band saws.

Also there is a guy in Florida that makes some parts and sells new tire/bands his catalog/manual is worth the effort to track him down.

Lewis Iturra. His phone number pops on here often. No webpage. No email. If you order anything (by phone), you usually get a catalog. Doesn't hurt to mention you want a catalog. The catalog is more like a 14" Delta bandsaw comprehensive owners manual with plenty of facts and products for other saws.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Gene, I knew somebody would post his name.

Iturra Design
1-904-642-2802
Toll Free: 888-722-7078
Email: KALLL@comcast.net
4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32225-1332

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't count on Iturra's email being effective. It has been hit or miss with me over the past. The phone call always seem to work.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Thanks, everyone. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can do all of the mechanical stuff everyone is suggesting. I know how to track the blades using the wingnut and bolt on the back but even when I turn it all the way clockwise the blade still runs off the wheel. I will check the tires.

I may not be hanging on to it anyway. We are selling our house in the country (and my 1000 sq ft shop) and moving into a small house in town. I will probably only be taking my scroll saw and veneer with me for marquetry. I don't know if I will have room or time for anything else. If this turns out to be true, I will let everyone know about a BIG yard sale. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS