Band saw upgrades

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Love my Harvey, but we can always make things better!
Did a small mod to the throat plate to allow my fat fingers to spin the lock easier.
Working on an outfeed table to help with the heavy 3 foot logs I am milling
Working on a simple hold bracket to stabilize a roller stand for long input table for said heavy logs

Now, I think I want a taller fence for re-saw.
I would like it a bit longer as I am going to extend the main table abut 6 inches to the rear. But, not sure longer actually helps re-saw. Thoughts?
I would like it a bit wider as I may add a few inches to the right of the table
Narrow so to get maximum left side clearance
Some sort of micro adjust better than just fist bump
Easy tracking adjustment though I seem to track just fine.
Easy on and off. My Harvey will swing up and clear without removing the blade, but if it was longer, it would not.

Not seeing many reviews of actual objective reviews, just the usual spec list or probably sponsored praise for the same couple of big brands.
Thinking I might do best building a supercooltools table saw fence with a few tweaks.

As the blade is not rigid, wondering how the most accurate measurement of fence to tooth or right of surface to right of tooth. Plane, slice, plane etc. Anyone work up a laser or shadow guide? I thought about some scratch marks on the throat plate, but all bands and tooth set are not the same. Maybe I should just pick my resaw blade and scratch a plate for it.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Kreg makes an extremely good aftermarket bandsaw fence. You can purchase two different size resaw attachments that attach to the saw. It might be more expensive than you are willing to go but it is there if you are interested. I have the fence and attachments for my Leguna saw and am very pleased with it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The Kreg does seem to come up a lot. I have several Kreg tools, and beefy is not how I usually describe them, but I will take a harder look. Maybe just using a clamp on the far side would add the strength needed for those rare heavy jobs.

I milled some walnut logs today on a sled I just made( plywood L, HF bar clamp) and when handling 100 Lbs logs the fence gets to be quite critical. Actually the lesson is to buy rough cut to start with, but now I know I can handle logs. Learned a lot. It worked, but not as well as I would like. Modifications to come. Dust collection for one.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
I have the Kreg fence as well. It is plenty sturdy. Unlike many other Kreg products there is virtually no plastic. I think the only plastic piece is the locking knob handle.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS