Band Saw Blade Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeL

New User
George
I am in the process of tuning up my 18" Steel City band saw. I am replacing all of the guide bearing and I am looking for recommendations on band saw blade brands and models and sizes. My saw is 137" and I am looking for general purpose blades. I already have a very good carbide tipped 1" resaw blade. I know one blade won't do everything well and I have no issues with purchasing 2-3 blades for good coverage.

Thanks for your help,

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Try Spectrum Supply. Their blades are excellent quality, and they have a huge selection at prices lower than anywhere I have found. They charge only their shipping costs, even though when you order the shipping costs look outrageous. Call them and ask about the shipping costs.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Farris Belt & Saw in Charlotte custom makes blades to order. If you have the 1 in. blade I would add: 3/16 for tight work, 3/8 for general use, and maybe a 1/2 in. when you need a wider blade but not a 1 in.

Pop

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The WOODSLlCER is truly a great blade, except it's high cost and shipping cost. I buy my blades locally for half the cost of the WOODSLICER, and although it's cut is very smooth, I still need to run the piece through the planer to get the correct thickness. So with the local blades, the smoothness of the cut doesn't matter anyhow, and I get the same amount of use from the blade
I would suggest Googling Woodcraft Blades, a company in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. I've heard nothing but very good things about their products.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Another Woodslicer fan. They remain sharp 3-4 times longer than the Olsen sold at Woodcraft and Klingspor. My experience has been cheap blades are not worth the money.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
The WOODSLlCER is truly a great blade, except it's high cost and shipping cost. I buy my blades locally for half the cost of the WOODSLICER, and although it's cut is very smooth, I still need to run the piece through the planer to get the correct thickness. So with the local blades, the smoothness of the cut doesn't matter anyhow, and I get the same amount of use from the blade
I would suggest Googling Woodcraft Blades, a company in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. I've heard nothing but very good things about their products.

It's Woodcraft Bands...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
From Woodcraftbands, for general purpose, look at the Lenox Diemaster (bi-metal) 1/4", 6 TPI, hook pattern. I use these on my 14" Delta to cut everything, including 800 car bodies for Toys for Tots each year. Got twelve years of use out of my first one, before it broke, not at the weld, FYI.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Dennis,

Thanks for the specs on the Diemaster II! A lot of folks had recommended the Diemaster II, but I was never sure which one since the tooth count seems to range from 3tpi to 18tpi with several tooth variations. I plan to order another blade and will use the specs you provided.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Although I don't have one, I have heard good comments about the Woodslicer from Highland.
If you can find a saw shop that carries them, Starrett band saw blades cut like a hot knife through butter. I got 2 of them from the ReTool Store when they were still in Greenville, and was lucky that they were the exact fit for my machine (150" long blade). I also have the Resaw King from Laguna, but only use it for just that-resawing. Pricey but can be re-sharpened.

GeorgeL

New User
George
Thank you everyone for your helpful feedback. From what I'm reading the Woodslicer is a dedicated resaw blade, correct? Not for cutting curves.

How are the general purpose blades from Highland compared to the Lenox Diemaster from Woodcraft Bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS