Band Saw blade advice needed.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Olson and I go way back. In the 1990s Chuck Olson even had me work his booth with his crew for a Greensboro woodworking show. I used to buy 250' coil stock from them when I was doing a lot of band saw work with the schools. I'll buy nothing but Olson 409 blades for my scroll saw. I'll have to get an Olson 1/4" blades for that saw and give up on making it a scrolling band saw. I do know that the 409 scroll saw blades are cut from coil stock and that coil stock would be wonderful to have but I expect it comes in lengths way greater than 250'.

It seems that Pegas is welding up that type stock for use in a special band saw that they sell. Looking at the specs, it seems they've engineered special guides to handle that skinny blade stock. Its slick looking but their blades are pricey and maybe not what I want for this toy bandsaw.
I checked my band saw blade and all I've got are .025 thick and to tension even a 1/4" blade enough would likely distort that lightweight aluminum frame.
Oh well.
I had hoped for a good lead on making that saw better and I think there's no way to make it function like I'd hoped.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a little 10” Rikon I use a 1/8 Olsen blade. Initially I was frustrated with the blade tracking and guide adjustment. Then I shifted to the Carter guide - basically a thrust bearing with a groove for the blade. Lower guides are removed
Seemed like a new saw and I have not readjusted for a year or more

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
It has been 20 years or so since I had a small 9” delta bandsaw and I do not recall the actual model number. It did have a metal door as opposed to the newer models that the door is plastic. It was a sturdy machine for $100 and the blade changes were very simple. I upgraded from that unit to a Ridgid 14” saw for the size. I could never tune this saw effectively but it worked OK for scrolling. Resawing was difficult as there was a lot of drift and the motor was underpowered.
My current saw is a Jet 18”. The saw has plenty of power and after replacing the tires with Carter tires all of the vibration magically disappeared. Resawing was difficult until I replaced the guides with a set of Carter guides. Adjustment of the lower guide is tight but I have small hands. I have used this saw for about 10-15 years and im very pleased. It does not gave a brake or easy tension release and Im lazy and leave it at full tension all the time. Every now and then a blade will break for no reason and is most likely a stress break but it is usually when the blade is getting dull anyway. Its not a Minimax or Agazanni but all in, I have about $800 invested with 10-15 years usage. Those higher end units are about $4k and yes maybe someday I will take the plunge.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I know this is a stupid question and I know you probably checked already…

But, are you sure the teeth are pointed down?
Mike:

NOT a stupid question. A long long time ago when I was a pup, I put a new blade on my saw, and had the teeth pointing up. I returned the blade thinking the teeth were pointing the wrong way! ha …

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Mike:

NOT a stupid question. A long long time ago when I was a pup, I put a new blade on my saw, and had the teeth pointing up. I returned the blade thinking the teeth were pointing the wrong way! ha …

Same here.
I'd gotten a blade from the Ashcroft's sharpening service. The salesman kept a straight but strained face as he tactfully explained the solution.
Over the years I've begun to install an upside down blade but that initial experience still kept me straight.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I would try to get a blade from the company that took over www.woodcraftblades.com

they use Starrett bi-metal stock on the larger blades, not sure but the small one should be equal quality.

I think the rule of thumb is 3-4 teeth in the cut so 15 sounds right for 1/4 inch.
What company took over? I edited this..I had posted took the money over lol

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Update:
I ordered some Olson blades that were on sale (from Olson)
I gave up hopes of a fine blade and decided to try their .020 thick, 1/4" wide, 6 tooth skip blade. I worried that the .020 was going to be a little thick, but with the new crowned rubber tires, the saw cut about as well as my other saws. I was impressed. This little cheapie saw now cuts like a pro. I'm impressed. I'll eventually give the saw away, but now I won't be ashamed to do so. For others with this type of saw, this blade is well worth considering.

1     blade - 1.jpg

1     blade - 2.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS