Ball and Bear Tomahawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Most of you have seen ball and claw details on some period pieces. Well here's a ball and bear tomahawk. I am using a photo of another recreation from an Iroqois tomahawk made of maple. I'm pretty busy at the moment building a rifle and a tomahawk but I figured I might as well go ahead and use up the small blank building a tomahawk.

Its slow going as this is my first shot at an all wood tomahawk. I'll be posting photos of the gun build and the tomahawk in the months to come.

If you care to look further, danmart77 photo section has more under carving.

later
dan

DSC08096.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC081011.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC08090.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC08098.JPG

View image in gallery
slab_option2.jpg

View image in gallery

stave

New User
stave
Looking forward to seeing the progression of it all.
During the filming of The Last of The Mohicans the prop guy came into our shop looking for someone to make several hundred of those tomahawks. He had some beautiful photos of examples. We could not meet the deadline so the opportunity was gone. Yours looks like a wonderful example and looks like it would be great to carve the bear head. What kind of finish or have you thought that far ahead yet.

Stave

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
What kind of finish?
I haven't thought that far ahead but that's going to be a whimsical thing at this point. You can't tell from the rough stock photos but the wood is curly maple. Its from a slab I used to make a longrifle and a half-stock hawken(photo). The curl is moderate but the wood is like R-60 steel. I got the piece of wood from some air dried stuff I had sitting in a pile for years(see photo below). It feels like I am working an old piece of hickory. If I make another, I'm going to use some of the softer red maple I have here in the pile. I'm not concerned about busting it during a fight. Ha.

The originals that I have examined were covered with animal fat. From what I can gather, they were dipped in a pot of boiling fat so the end grain soaked in the fat. I guess the handles were left dry?? You need a grip on this thing.

I hope to carve the ears and eyes next week if I get some time. After that, I am going to gouge the shape with a fine little tool I made to mimic the hair like you see in the picture. I'm hoping to get the same look a brave would have achieved sitting on a log thinking about... unfriendly visitors??

later
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS