Backbench Update- yup, w/pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Well between errands, movies, etc. I got some time in the shop. Though I didn't get as much done as I had hoped, I still made some observable progress on the upper cabinets.

Here are the three upper units sitting side by side on the lower cabinets. I went ahead and stained the oak faceframe and the interior of the shelf unit to see what it would like. Yes, that is a green stain wash on the inside.
grin.gif
grin.gif
I used pocket screws to make the face frames and just glued them to the boxes- like I did with the faceframes on the lower cabinets. However, I used a slot cutter and loose tenons to construct the door frames this time. It worked great! Less steps, much quicker, and better alignment of the stile-rail intersection.

Backbench-37.JPG

A shot from a different angle showing the end panel. The end panel was glued to the overhanging front stile and to the 1/2" ply box side. The cabinet box tops and bottoms were made from 3/4" ply. The end panels were a source of a big D' Oh
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
- the left and right end panels got switched!!! :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: The end panel outer stiles are supposed to be the same width- 2".
Backbench-38.JPG

I used the Lamello hinges again. I'm still not happy with installation of these.
Backbench-39.JPG

Close-up of door grids. The grids were just fitted and glued. I was originally going to recess them in shallow, short slots in the back side of the stile and rail lip but figured that would be too much trouble for a non-structural detail, especially since the grid will be backed by glass. The backs of the doors have been rabbeted to hold two, upper and lower, glass panels. I still need to do some final sanding of the cabinets and doors, including easing the edges. I also need to sand the shelves and shelf edge treatment.
Backbench-40.JPG

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Wow great work there alan I really like the design, but have to ask what the green all about?

T

toolferone

but have to ask what the green all about?

Yea inquiring minds want to know!

I showed the pictures to a co-worker he loved them and then I told him they where for your workshop "holy shirt" was his comment.

Alan, they are looking great and remember the end panel is not a mistake, but a design change!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Looking good! I appreciate it when a woodworker takes his time to treat himself in his shop. Too many folks just slap shop cabinetry together. Why give everyone else else your best work? I spend more time in my shop than in my house so for me I'm going to give my shop the best I can.

John

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Why the insides are green . . . . .

Some folks are asking why I made the insides green. Well there are mainly two reasons- first, my inspiration was a kitchen cabinet article in (Aug '06?) FWW by Scott Gibson. He painted the insides of his cabinets with a green latex; second- I liked the look and think it really makes the dark stained oak pop. Rather than go with a fully opaque latex like Scott used, I chose a latex based stain from Olympic that was closer to a wash and thinner than milk paint. It still allows the grain to show on the beadboard backs and was very easy to apply. For a sealer I'll use the same Target Coatings waterborne pre-cat finish that I'll be using on the oak faceframes and doors.

In my mind, my other choices were a natural, clear finish- too blah; dark stain like the faceframes and doors- too dark for a cabinet interior; and white- nah, would show dings and scratches and look like melamine. Now as to the color- well green looked nice on the cabinets in FWW, a slate/blue/gray would have been nice too. As to shade of green, I picked what they had at Lowes and didn't want to have to worry about a custom mix.

But basically, I liked the look (and can always paint over it) :lol: :lol: :lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Alan, just wanted to add a few Oohs and Aahhs!

The glass grids and panels are amazing additions to shop or home :eusa_clap

Roger

Monty

New User
Monty
Very nice work! Thanks for the update.

Also, I just noticed, in that 3rd pic it looks like you have a red/green start/stop switch mounted in your wall - what's that for?

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Very nice work! Thanks for the update.

Also, I just noticed, in that 3rd pic it looks like you have a red/green start/stop switch mounted in your wall - what's that for?

That is one of six Start/Stop pb's for the DC that are located around the shop. They are all momentary contact pb's and hooked to an LVC relay so I can turn the DC on and off from any location- I decided not to go with a wireless remote- figured I'd put it down and would never find it- like pencils, tape measures, etc.:eusa_doh: There is a 6" DC pipe coming up through the floor into the base cabinet by the pb. This is where the SCMS will be mounted. The pipe will be connected to some sort of yet to be designed dust shroud for the SCMS.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that's looking better all the time Alan. This coming from a "threw the shop cabs together" kinda guy! :lol: :lol:

The green threw me for a loop but the more I look at it, the more I think it'll be nice once you break up the background with shop goodies!

Great planning on the DC Start/Stop PB wiring.

Chuck

J

jeff...

Personally I think you got a lot of talent Alan, those are some amazing shop cabs. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS