B&S recoil starter

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Picked up an old Craftsman roto-tiller. Runs great. Big 6 HP with gearbox. Anyway, inside the recoil starter is a tiny spring that pulls the flap away from the cogs. It broke.
How similar are B&S recoils? Same for all older ones? Or were they changed constantly over the years? E-bay has them for $17, but no listings for what they fit. New Quantums are different but old ones?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, ordered two different ones. Both pictures look like my part, but were listed as Tecumseh

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Those chinese cheapos are universal same with their carberators. Bought parts for my generator and blower the recoil didnt exactly fit but only tool abot 10 min to modify it . IT was cheap so no worry if it didn't fit. THE carberator I got just bolted on and ...done

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
While I was looking at how they were built, I started thinking again on how to make a "drill powered" starter for my generator. All the designs I have seen are terribly dangerous. It is getting a little hard for me to start it.

What I wonder is the dimension between the dog and the flywheel. Anyway, I hope one of the two springs I bought will be close enough for the weight of the dog. It has to be just barely weaker than the inertia from pulling the cord.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Depending upon engine size, it's relatively easy to convert to electric start. Biggest items needed are flywheel with ring gear, and starter motor. Some ring gears can be purchased separately. Flywheels can be gotten off ebay, or at a small engine repair shop. Used is fine, as long as magnets haven't lost their magnetism. You don't need to charge the battery from engine, as you want to keep it on a maintainer. Our house generator has a battery ( manufacture date: 09, 2009) on a maintainer. For starter motors, DB Electric is my "go to source." I've done three different generators, all with Briggs L head engines.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A flywheel with a ring gear would be excellent. Not sure where to find one, but I'll start looking. It is a cheap 5500 with a Brigs engine. I figure I could always jump it from a car, so was not even thinking about a battery.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
A flywheel with a ring gear would be excellent. Not sure where to find one, but I'll start looking. It is a cheap 5500 with a Brigs engine. I figure I could always jump it from a car, so was not even thinking about a battery.
Because of low current draw compared to a car, a "weak" battery will suffice. One of my generators doesn't have a battery. I use my jumper box to start it.. Built some terminals for cables to attach to, plus a set of leads with clamps in case I want to use a battery

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Got the springs from ereplcementparts today. One did fit just right. ( It was a Tecumseh part even though it was a Brigs motor) In it went and now I have a correctly working beast that will beat me up. I know, front tine tillers are brutal. A bit of new fuel hose was the only other fix.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS