Axiom AR8 PRO V5

MLB3164

New User
Marty
I retired a few months ago and also moved in April and am in the process of setting up my shop in the new basement. I have an Axiom CNC due to deliver this week and look forward to diving in. My main focus is guitar and home audio woodworking. Would like to hear other fellow NC woodworkers thoughts on the various CNC software they are using. I am looking at V Carve, Rhino and Fusion 360. Thanks and glad to be back.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
First off, what is your experience with CAD/CAM software as it relates to CNC routers?. Are you a complete newbie?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
My advice. Start slow. Guitar parts are very complicated CNC router projects. The learning curve with any of those 3 software packages is very steep. but, vcarve will give you the most "out of the box" useage and flexibility. The others may have CAM capabilities, but vcarve (Vectric) has way more to offer you especially being a new user. Personally, I have been using 3D CAD professionally for over 35 years, and using the same software (Pro/engineer) for the last 28. I have programmed 5 axis machining centers as well as 3 and 4 axis machines. I rapidly learned there is a huge difference between being a programmer and a machine operator. All of the demos etc make it all look so easy and it is easy once you know your software and your machine. I wanted to go full tilt 3D at first too, but quickly realized I needed to slow down and learn my machine first. You have a lot to learn ahead of you from mdeling, 2D and 3D to creating a "good" cutter path, tool limits, machine feeds and speeds, material quirks, G-Code output from the software to the post processor. Cutter uses for the different types to holding down your workpiece so you dont crash into your hold downs. Start slow my friend. If youd like to come down to my shop, Id be glad to give you a demo.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Wow Chris you are very gracious and kind! I was leaning toward V Carve as it looks the most user friendly. I actually have looked at CNC guitar files that are for sale online. The complexity of a Les Paul style guitar is very advanced. This could allow me to get my feet wet and see the modeling and file paths. My other hobby is home audio building stereo speakers. This is more in my learning curve. Basically step routed holes with the inner one as a cut through and panel cutouts. My background for the past 17 years has been using a CAD style software called 2020 Design for kitchen and bath cabinet layouts. If the CNC software is anything like 2020 it isn't that difficult but if you don't know where and how to click you will swim in sand. Once you know how to achieve your goals it is intuitive. I would love to come see your shop and pick your brain for tips and tricks sometime. Again thanks for the info and your generosity.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
you can contact me through an offline message here , im actually going to be around the shop all week so if you want, Ill be around.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I would recommend Vectric V-Carve Pro due to the size of your machine...V-carve Desktop is for machines with a bed no bigger than 24" x 24"...V-Carve will have the necessary post processor for your machine built in. There is a very active user's forum that will gladly give you help with project problems and there are enough user's of various machines that there is lot's of help with machine questions also. Vectric also offers some of the best software tutorials available free of charge. If you decide later to upgrade to Vectric Aspire which is their 3D modeling software, you only pay the difference in price of the one you own. As a suggestion, you need to learn to walk before you try to run...my 2 pennies worth.

I have no connection with Vectric other than being a satisfied customer.

Last edited:

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I agree with Chris. Vectric makes very good software.

As for learning your machine - try to do anything and everything on it. Expect to break a router bit or two and make lots of firewood.
Don't purchase expensive lumber to learn. When your machine runs for hours - router bits are going to dull faster than you think.

I didn't see any kind of dust collection on the Axiom web site. You are going to need something.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I'm using vCarve Desktop to learn with. I have no reason to make anything over 24x24 but if I do, will upgrade to Pro.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Ken I have a HF dust collector with the Rikon fan converted with a cyclone separator that will be dedicated to just the CNC. I hope if will have enough CFM to handle the majority of the dust.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS