August 2016 Contest - Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
OK Phil, this is one you've been waiting for. Post some pics of a boat build or the finished project.

Good luck to all.

Remember the quality of the photos matters as that will be what the members use to judge the entries by.

bbrown

Bill
User
This is a reproduction of a ca. 1760 'Strawberry Banke Dory. These were made along the NH coast (the "Strawberry Banke) which was a bustling area for all things nautical in the 18th century.

Lapstraked Southern Yellow Pine, Oak gunwales and ribs. I finished the interior with a boiled pine tar recipe that I got from Lowell's Boat Shop in MA.

I donated the boat to Historic Jamestown. I included a photo (below) of the boat tied to the Susan. B. Constant, which was one of the boats that accompanied the Mayflower to the New World in 1620. Ironically, Jamestown removed the Bible verse.......

--Bill

00000509_copy.jpg

00000517_copy.jpg

00000512_copy.jpg

Wm_Brown_-_Chester_County_PA_furniture_034.JPG

Last edited:

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
This is called a Drift Boat. It is used to float down rivers and fly fish from. They are much more common out West. The method is stitch and glue but I added Kevlar to the bottom and had Linex truck bed liner applied on the bottom. It is mostly Teak but I got carried away and ended up using 14 different wood species. It works great, we used it on the New River, Watauga, etc. but it has been down the Yellowstone and other Montana and Idaho rivers.

bbrown

Bill
User
Wow, Allan, that is gorgeous. Hat's off too on this incredible accomplishment.

--Bill

Last edited:

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Wow! I don't see how AllanD's boat can be beat......it even has cupholders!

What is the vertical piece just in front of the rear seat for?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
That's one heck of a boat Allen. I've never heard of a drift boat before, but then I'm not much of a water guy. I always seem to head for the mountains. BUT ! If that's a drift boat it's one great drift boat.

Pop
:banana:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
OK, this month's contest is officially over - the voting poll has been posted and we await the results. Thanks for the great entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS