Attach this top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

New User
Jay
Just thought I would get your ideas on the preferred method for attaching this top. A friend of mine wanted this dresser refinished. When I got it the top was barely holding on. The wood is poplar if the pictures are not good enough for you to tell. The top was attached to the frame using these blocks glued to the top and sides.
IMG_0004.JPG

This is another more overall look at how they did it.
IMG_0003.JPG

This is an older dresser as it was probably built by a sibling of his grandmother. Here is one more photo of the frame and the blocks remaining on it.
IMG_0002.JPG

Would anyone like to suggest their preferred method for reattaching the top whether it be reglue it or another method? It may help you to know that the top and both sides are glued up panels if it does not show well in the pictures. Also the thickness of the top is a little under 3/4 inch. If you would like more info. on which to base your opinion please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Monty

New User
Monty
I think the simplest thing to do would be glue blocks to the inside of the frame, with elongated holes to drive screws up into the top. Or glue the blocks to the top and run the screws into the frame, which might acutally be better.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Jay,

In my experience, an awful lot of tops are attached with screws that are put in from the bottom of the front frame, sides, and sometimes in the back also. Refer to the pic for the normal locations. If you have a pocket hole jig, you can drill all the holes on the sides, front with it or if you don't have one, you can use a spade bit or even a forstner bit to create the pocket so you can drive the screws into the top. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but be sure your holes are going from bottom to top when you drill them. Be sure to use the appropriate size screws or they will blow through the top. I hope this makes sense, but if you have any questions send me a pm.
topfasteningmethod.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Also consider "Z" clips and using a slot cutter in a router or biscuit jointer to make the slots. Just make sure that you line up the top of the slot with the depth of the "Z" clip so the top snugs down tight.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Glue blocks and screws is what I would do. That's a typical method of top to case attachment on higher end furniture pieces... ;-)

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Since the top is not very big, nor is it thick, I would simply use glue blocks. Don't try to over-engineer!
Jim in Mayberry

J

jeff...

Agreed !!! less is more sometimes...

Hey I see you in mount airy, I've been wanting to come there for a long time. I'm a big fan...

jmauldin said:
Since the top is not very big, nor is it thick, I would simply use glue blocks. Don't try to over-engineer!
Jim in Mayberry

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
I agree with the glue blocks, especially if its an older piece. Stay with the original design and change as little as you can get away with.

DavidF

New User
David
Glue blocks with slotted holes. Make one set of holes (front?) the correct size to fix that edge as a reference.

Jay

New User
Jay
Hey everybody I just wanted to thank those who offered advice on attaching this top. This site is such a valuable resource for beginners like me because of folks like you! Thank you again for your help!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS