Atlas 4002 jug saw blades?

Pathaygood

New User
Pat
I was just given a Atlas 4002 jig saw . Everything seems to be in working condition bu to need saw blades. Where do I find blades to fit?
I have found the user manual but not sur about blades.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
OK what does the user manual state about blades?

I just went to look because I was curious. While they called this a jig saw in the 50s, most today would called that a SCROLL SAW. It appears to have a chuck or collet for blades, so I don't think pin style blades would work, just straight blades. All you'd need to know is the length of the blade, not a piece of info that jumped out at me in my brief browsing of the pdf manual.
A more experienced scroller, and there are several here (Berta, Scott M come to mind, but there are many others), could likely help out here much more than I can.

Pathaygood

New User
Pat
OK what does the user manual state about blades?

I just went to look because I was curious. While they called this a jig saw in the 50s, most today would called that a SCROLL SAW. It appears to have a chuck or collet for blades, so I don't think pin style blades would work, just straight blades. All you'd need to know is the length of the blade, not a piece of info that jumped out at me in my brief browsing of the pdf manual.
A more experienced scroller, and there are several here (Berta, Scott M come to mind, but there are many others), could likely help out here much more than I can.
Thanks

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Nice saw. It is no toy, that's for sure. Consider it closer to a band saw that uses 1/8" blades.

The upper plunger is adjustable for height. You can use about any size plain end scroll saw blade you want from 4" to 6". Adjust the top plunger so the blade clamp has to be pulled down about 3/8" to 1/2" to grab the top of the blade when the blade is at top dead center.

I like the 5" Olson 409. Been using them for decades. The 5" size is about the most common.

Attachments

• 1   atlas  blade.jpg
    1 atlas blade.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 199

Pathaygood

New User
Pat
Nice saw. It is no toy, that's for sure. Consider it closer to a band saw that uses 1/8" blades.

The upper plunger is adjustable for height. You can use about any size plain end scroll saw blade you want from 4" to 6". Adjust the top plunger so the blade clamp has to be pulled down about 3/8" to 1/2" to grab the top of the blade when the blade is at top dead center.

I like the 5" Olson 409. Been using them for decades. The 5" size is about the most common.
Thanks!
I'm new at this but would love to be able to work with this jig (scroll) saw.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
What kind of saw you call it isn't nearly as important as whether or not you use it. Try it out. You can knock the pins out of coping saw blades and try them. They suck at cutting but it will give a start. That saw is good for 1/2" to 1-1/4" wood since it has a one inch stroke. Scroll saws excel at pierced curved work, They are great for making smooth patterns for pattern routing and shaping. I don't think I ever do a woodworking project that I don't walk over to the scroll saw and cut some little clamping pad or stick for a special application even though what I've cut never ends up in the finished project. Great for cutting out clamp pads for pipe clamps. Glue them on with double stick carpet tape. Kid's toys are really easy.

Below is one of the very few projects where the scroll saw was the main machine. Tack the sides together, mark the pattern, drill, and cut. Lots of clamping and unclamping the blade.
1   scroll - 1.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Industry standard for a modern scroll saw blade in 5 inches. Because of the collet system you want plain end of pinless blades. If 5 inches is too short you can also get coping saw blades and trim them to length. Blade come in all sizes and different tooth designs. As a newbie I would recommend starting out with a #5 skip tooth blade.

Pathaygood

New User
Pat
What kind of saw you call it isn't nearly as important as whether or not you use it. Try it out. You can knock the pins out of coping saw blades and try them. They suck at cutting but it will give a start. That saw is good for 1/2" to 1-1/4" wood since it has a one inch stroke. Scroll saws excel at pierced curved work, They are great for making smooth patterns for pattern routing and shaping. I don't think I ever do a woodworking project that I don't walk over to the scroll saw and cut some little clamping pad or stick for a special application even though what I've cut never ends up in the finished project. Great for cutting out clamp pads for pipe clamps. Glue them on with double stick carpet tape. Kid's toys are really easy.

Below is one of the very few projects where the scroll saw was the main machine. Tack the sides together, mark the pattern, drill, and cut. Lots of clamping and unclamping the blade.
View attachment 202375
Nice work, maybe one day I can try something like that. Thanks for the info.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a scroll saw & a Powermatic jig saw. I refuse to call it a stiff arm scroll saw. For my jig saw I have 1/4 1/8 & 3/16 band saw blades cut to 5 inches. This machine snatches small scroll saw blades apart.

PS: We can thank old Bosch for all this name business. They started by naming their sabra saw a jig saw.

Pop :cool:

Pathaygood

New User
Pat
I have a scroll saw & a Powermatic jig saw. I refuse to call it a stiff arm scroll saw. For my jig saw I have 1/4 1/8 & 3/16 band saw blades cut to 5 inches. This machine snatches small scroll saw blades apart.

PS: We can thank old Bosch for all this name business. They started by naming their sabra saw a jig saw.

Pop :cool:
Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors