Atlanta WW Show and gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Just got back from 3 days at the Atlanta Woodworking show. I thought is was better this year than two years ago (I didn't go last year). The venue was smaller but at least the parking was free. :eusa_clap

There were several good deals. Highland Woodworking had a whole LOT of stuff at 50% off the lowest marked price. They had two large bins of all different Sorby tools for half price. They also had Oneway chucks, vacuum systems, 8 ft long clamp guides, etc. I got a set of Sorby hollowing tools (3) for $40. I'm just starting to get into turning but thought that was a good price. I also got a large twin screw vise on clearance ($49). Highland had a $20 coupon to spend at their store which was only ten miles from the venue. I visited and picked up a Woodslicer blade

The biggest item I picked up was a Plano vertical panel press for $199. I've wanted one for a while and that was by far the best price I've seen.

Milescraft had a booth and I have always wondered about their router pantograph. I thought that it must be hard to use but they had one set up and it was sooo easy. I just followed the drawing and the router glided across the wood with hardly any effort. They had combination pricing but the pantograph itself was $50, same as on the website.

Both Jool-Tool and WorkSharp were there with some pretty good combination pricing. Peachtree was, as usual, the largest vender but Woodline was almost as large. Sommerfeld had their standard large display. The primary large tool vendor was Stone Mountain Woodworking. I couldn't afford any big items but they seemed to have some pretty good combination pricing. Grex had a small booth as did many other vendors.

There weren't as many instructional sessions as there had been in the past and they seem to have done away with the paid sessions the last couple of years. However, Wood Magazine put on three pretty good sessions regarding setting up shop from tool placement to electricity to heating. Sommerfeld had their cabinet session, there was a finishing session and a couple of others.

There were many craftsmen and craftswomen there showing some amazing work and demonstrating how to do it. The carvers were the most amazing to me because I don't have any of that type of skill.

CraftSupplies had a booth and three mini-lathes and were letting people turn their own pens for free. They provided very good instruction and probably made several converts.

By the way, if you are considering buying one of those template kits that cuts all the fancy joinery (hearts, teddy bears, etc.) be warned. The vast majority of the templates only work on 3/4 stock, nothing thinner. I have seen them in magazines but didn't know about the limitation till I went to the show and asked questions.

Overall it was a good show but very crowded. Ten dollars for three days and free parking. Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

Dragon

New User
David
Sounds like that was the place to be this weekend. It was sure cold and snowy around here. That was an outstanding review of both the show and some of the tools we use. Thank you. Glad you got there and back safely.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Great review. I would like to get to that show one of these years. Sounds like a good time.

Red

nicemac

New User
Kevin
I picked up a Bessey 2440 4-pack with blocks for $119 from Stone Mountain Power Tool right at closing time Friday afternoon at the show. I called them this morning to see if I could get some more at that price ($159 on Amazon) and they said no. They did offer them at $139, which is still good, but...

BTW, driving back to Nashville Friday night was fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS