Assembly Table Help Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:tinysmile_cry_t2:Anyone know of plans/dimensions for a good assembly table design? :eusa_thin The more stuff we build, the more my old back is saying "Do Something!"

I believe it was in Jeremy's post that someone mentioned the "Wood Whisperer" or David Marks. Do they have a site and plans? Thanks in advance for the help. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Reggie,
I'm the third owner of this one courtesy of Dino:

Built like a brick outhouse and a hybrid of the David Marks version.http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_wwk/episode/0,2046,DIY_14350_26946,00.html It has 3/4in Oak plywood for the base, 3 sheets of 3/4in MDF and ~another sheet of 1/2in MDF ripped for the webbing in the torsionbox. The edge is 4/4 Mahogany. I haven't weighed it but it's heavyduty. The castors are what we use on our mobile hospital equipment at work. They have a 12mm threaded rod and I installed 12mm T-nuts in the bottom of the base for them to mount to. It originally had a Formica top but was separating from the substrate in a few places so it was not very level. Stripped off the Formica and used Xylol to get the rubber cement off. Flattened it, filled in some places, sealed with Polyurethane and keep it waxed. Lacquer won't even stick to it. It's within a few thousands from each corner to the opposite corner. If I had to improve on anything I would have at least 4" of overhang to give my clamps a little more meat to hold and make it ~6" shorter so it would fit under my workbench. It takes up a lot of room but always seems to have something on it.
You're welcome to stop by and check it out next time you're this way.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Reggie, a beam box/torsion box like David Marks built will give you a strong and flat assembly table. I think I improved on his construction method however, especially the way he cuts and fits the web pieces. My method is quicker and easier.

Take a look at the threads with pics about my table.

Construction

Completed Table

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Reggie,

I can vouch for Alans table, it is a rock solid assembly table and the height adjustments are easily made. At first it looks flimsy, but it's not at all.

Jimmy:)

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Reggie, a beam box/torsion box like David Marks built will give you a strong and flat assembly table. I think I improved on his construction method however, especially the way he cuts and fits the web pieces. My method is quicker and easier.

Take a look at the threads with pics about my table.

Construction

Completed Table

Alan, great modifications!

At the time, I wondered why he didn't half-lap them in the first place! Would have saved him a lot of time...

I really like your ht. adjustment scheme!! Really COOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS